• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do recruiters need my passport?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Did the agency name start with Moss..........
    My immediate reaction also!

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Err, what's the difference between "unique" and "very unique"?
    Not very unique means "not unique at all". But against the law? get a grip.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by smithgj123 View Post
    I've had 2 calls today from recruiters saying they need a copy of my passport before they send my CV to a client. One also asked for my NI number.

Are they entitled to ask for this information before I even have an interview or offer?

Previously I've only been asked for this information once I've been offered a position.
    I sent a copy off to an agent the other day because they asked for it. Blanked out the passport number and the strip at the bottom.

Have an interview with them in about 3 minutes, so maybe they just liked the look of me from the photo

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    IIRC it is actually against the law to use the NI# as a unique identifier.

Now if that is database programmers law, as it is a very very stupid thing to do, as NI#'s are actually not very unique... or a real law to do with the DPA I'm not too certain on.
    Err, what's the difference between "unique" and "very unique"?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Redcar View Post
    The agent told me that the client needed it for a unique username in their system as there would be more than one Redcar, and insisted on it.

Could I have given them a fake one?
    IIRC it is actually against the law to use the NI# as a unique identifier.

Now if that is database programmers law, as it is a very very stupid thing to do, as NI#'s are actually not very unique... or a real law to do with the DPA I'm not too certain on.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    The agent told me that the client needed it for a unique username in their system as there would be more than one Redcar, and insisted on it.

BOOBIES

Ok OK IGMC

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

I seem to recall this was discussed recently (try the Business forum), and the answer was yes.

Leave a comment:

• Redcar
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Tell them you'll supply passport details on confirmation of a job offer. The NI NO is a no no. Otherwise tell them to **** off.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    ...............Add?

..new keyboard please

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    ...............Add?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    I've had 2 calls today from recruiters saying they need a copy of my passport before they send my CV to a client. One also asked for my NI number.

Are they entitled to ask for this information before I even have an interview or offer?

Previously I've only been asked for this information once I've been offered a position.
    Tell them you'll supply passport details on confirmation of a job offer. The NI NO is a no no. Otherwise tell them to **** off.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Before?? Never heard of that. Afterwards maybe.

Where are you from?

Leave a comment:

• smithgj123
    started a topic Why do recruiters need my passport?

Why do recruiters need my passport?

Working...
X