• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agent discouraging asking for rate rise"

Collapse

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Excellent! Did you speak to clientco then?
    I did, I spoke to my handler here and explained I was getting itchy feet. He phoned the agent and told her to put it through. Odd situation where the ClientCo has to convince the agent to raise the rate

Only possible hitch will be if large company procurement department kick up about it, but hopefully not.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    Ta
    Excellent! Did you speak to clientco then?

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    As a reprise, looks like I'm getting the extra money.

so, a rare !!boomed!!
    Excellent news, TBYJ!

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Bravo that man!
    Ta

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

so, a rare !!boomed!!
    Bravo that man!

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied

so, a rare !!boomed!!

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    I would go for it. Tried it a few contracts back. Was rejected by the Director and she advised there would be a round of rate cuts but it didn't harm at all. Was awkward asking but fine after and the agent discouraged me from doing it. Could have been up £50 per day if I managed it.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    You could have just read your 2nd post and saved us all the bother...... or posted it as Advice in Business/Contracts.....
    3 words for you my moany friend: Mark Forums Read

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    In all my renewals, the only time I ever got a rate increase was by buttering up the client who then squeezed the agency margin to give me more of a cut. The only other option as I see it is to sort yourself out another contract and then put a gun to their head but its a rotten way to do business and will probably burn your bridges. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    1st post........
    Originally posted by Other People View Post
    Help advice etc <despite being in General>
    2nd post........
    You could have just read your 2nd post and saved us all the bother...... or posted it as Advice in Business/Contracts.....

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    Have you asked ClientCo directly? Might be worth a punt, something along the lines of "If I asked for a reasonable rate increase in line with my increased responsibilities and quality of work, would I get one?" and see what they say.
    My perm hadler here is actually quite supportive of me asking for more - it's not him, it'll be the clientco-procurement-dept/agent relationship which will scupper it - agency is a preferred supplier and I can see why they won't want a load of their people demanding pay rises and giving them a poor rep.

As for "pay up or I'll walk", as a bargaining tool it's a tad risky in such a weakly recovering market. I could walk (still have 2+ years cash in the bank), and 7 years C# .Net with banking/insurance is still a relatively strong skillset.

But I am actually enjoying here for the most part, just still stinging from the rate drop from last year, and would like to see it righted at the very least.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    when they offer the extension, you are free to negotiate the terms again. The rate is one of these terms. Put the feelers out and see who bites

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    As discussed depends on circumstances.
    I have pushed very hard for a rise on 2 occasions when I didn't care if I left.
    First time - pointy haired bloke (to$$er of the first order) came to me direct and said sorry, there is no more budget, I said ok, then phoned the agent and said rise or I walk, PHB later snarled at me 'ok - you've got your damn rise'.
    Second time - They sent a couple of people to persuade me otherwise and I walked.
    Had rises offered without asking or with a nudge from me after 12 months in places I wanted to stay and a couple knocked back.
    So my view is go for it if you have nothing to lose - this includes potential to upset client affecting future work (ok if you never want to go back). Otherwise, consider a request after 12 months or very significant change of work or if you have them by the sack, don't expect sympathy from client or agent (who may well pretend to ask for a rise and tell you they said no...)

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Have you asked ClientCo directly? Might be worth a punt, something along the lines of "If I asked for a reasonable rate increase in line with my increased responsibilities and quality of work, would I get one?" and see what they say.
    I would. Makes me squirm a bit speaking to the client about rates etc,but as you're getting a brick wall from the agent then asking can't hurt.

Not sure I agree with the "pay up or I walk" approach.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    WHS.

Mention it quietly with the client - your worst case scenario is that the agent tells the client you want a rise and gets one, then tells you that the client never does a rate rise.

If you are taking on more responsibility, then negotiate and see if you can get something for it. According to an article on the CUK front page, rates are rising and it won't be long before we see poaching from project to project - I can only hope.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X