• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will the Large Hadron Collider destroy the world?"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I don't see commercial companies funding such colliders - that's because return on investment is approximately -1000000%.

Intel funds its own research - I have not heard of them paying any money to support such massive colliders that try to pursue such dangerous goals as creation of conditions before Big Bang.
    There are no colliders that seek to recreate the conditions before the big bang. You have just started talking rubbish now I'm afraid.

Synchrotrons have advanced semiconductor physics. Many of the X-ray based techniques used to study semiconductor crystals rely on synchrotrons (i.e. big particle accelerators) to provide the necessary radiation.

Intel are a semiconductor company. They may not have funded the devices but they have benefited from the advances in physics that occured. They also collaborate with universities on basic research (like most big companies) and I would expect their engineers read academic journals & papers in the field and make use of the results.
    Last edited by doodab; 10 March 2010, 14:11.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Anyway, why worry if it all goes wrong. There are plenty of other universes where it didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    When men first starting digging big holes to extract coal and other ores from the ground, for all they knew, and according to some mythologies of old, they might have released the spirits of the dead, great fire breathing monsters and giant three headed dogs into the environment, thereby wiping out all of humanity. But that’s not what happened.
    Sensibly, the forward thinking, right minded few realised the chance of releasing fire breathing monsters from a seam of coal was extremely unlikely (cubed).

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    When men first starting digging big holes to extract coal and other ores from the ground, for all they knew, and according to some mythologies of old, they might have released the spirits of the dead, great fire breathing monsters and giant three headed dogs into the environment, thereby wiping out all of humanity. But that’s not what happened.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I thought we'd moved on to ROI?
    ROI is secondary - I would not care if collider was wasting money so long as it's not me who is paying for it.

I object to the grave risks associated with that project. In addition to it ROI is non-existant, no private company funds such projects.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Given that the whole of the technology that IT and indeed the whole of the economy and current civilisation of the human race is based required the development of quantum theory, it seems odd to question the need of such research.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    the forum?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    This Brunel's Great Eastern carry a risk of having this planet blown up to pieces? I think not.
    I thought we'd moved on to ROI?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    That was just about the ROI on Brunel’s Great Eastern. Then someone figured out it could be used for laying transatlantic cables.
    This Brunel's Great Eastern carry a risk of having this planet blown up to pieces? I think not.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I don't see commercial companies funding such colliders - that's because return on investment is approximately -1000000%.
    That was just about the ROI on Brunel’s Great Eastern. Then someone figured out it could be used for laying transatlantic cables.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    the forum?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Actually, the technology developed in particle accelerators and colliders has been applied to make radioactive isotopes used in medicine

Intel funds its own research - I have not heard of them paying any money to support such massive colliders that try to pursue such dangerous goals as creation of conditions before Big Bang.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    the forum?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    OK, so apart from bla bla bla - what have the Romans ever given us?
    Toga parties

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Other than advances in superconducting power transmission technology, magnet technology, techniques for handling and processing massive amount of data and, oh yes, nearly forgot, understanding how the universe works?

Can't think of anything TBH. ******* waste of money, science.
    OK, so apart from advances in superconducting power transmission technology, magnet technology, techniques for handling and processing massive amount of data and, oh yes, nearly forgot, understanding how the universe works - what have the Romans ever given us?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X