• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Seeking asylum from Canada"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Er, not it's not...
    It practical terms it is secondary if the country they came from is dangerous and/or they are actually fleeing real prosecution.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Whether UK is the first country they landed or not is secondary consideration
    Er, not it's not...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Still doesn't explain how Somalis, Afghans and Iraqis can claim asylum in UK since they are obliged under the rules of political asylum to claim it in the first safe country the land in.
    Chances are that those guys actually worked for British forces there and would have no other chances to get the feck out of those countries.

Whether UK is the first country they landed or not is secondary consideration - you should also consider that asylum applications can be made in embassies, you don't need to travel.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    So you are now saying he was mad and there was no threat to him from Canada and agree with me he should have been put back there as soon as he arrived claiming this mince, thanks.
    It appears the health systems in both countries failed these people. Considering the Canadian one is so tulipe that's not hard to believe. I would have thought the NHS would have caught on sooner.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    UK has got obligation to follow asylum laws that are pretty much universal. Historically UK was a safe harbour to those fleeing persecution - top applications actually come from countries that were meddled by UK to a substantial degree: Iraq, Afganistan.

I've now read up more on this case and it seems there is a reason why they decided to leave Canada - they would not get citizenship there because it is apparently Canadian common practice not to give it to ex-KGB officers. If I was in this position I'd certainly move to another country - UK is perfect from this point of view.
    Think Somalia is top of the list, my bro is a Social Worker and he to deal with them and their machetes.

Still doesn't explain how Somalis, Afghans and Iraqis can claim asylum in UK since they are obliged under the rules of political asylum to claim it in the first safe country the land in.

Now as these citizens need a visa to land here by air, which they won't get, they must come by truck, and pass through God knows how many safe countries. So to me it's logical the UK should have very few asylum claims.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I've now read up more on this case and it seems there is a reason why they decided to leave Canada - they would not get citizenship there because it is apparently Canadian common practice not to give it to ex-KGB officers. If I was in this position I'd certainly move to another country - UK is perfect from this point of view.
    So you are willing to believe what the press reports a suicidal paranoid told in is asylum application.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I have now decided to believe everything that asylum seekers say, I mean why would they tell anyone lies?

And the system will run much better if we believe everything they say and assume they would not be a potential problem living in the UK. Let them all stay I say.
    Really bad idea, sends out the signal to the Worlds disaffected to flock here cos we'll let everyone stay.

Spain tried an amnesty for illegals and regretted it, resulted in even more trying to get in...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    It's not the job of this country to take care of the mentally ill from other countries
    UK has got obligation to follow asylum laws that are pretty much universal. Historically UK was a safe harbour to those fleeing persecution - top applications actually come from countries that were meddled by UK to a substantial degree: Iraq, Afganistan.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Of course I don't know if they were in treatment or not, surely they should have been if they were not.
    So you are now saying he was mad and there was no threat to him from Canada and agree with me he should have been put back there as soon as he arrived claiming this mince, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    They weren't permanent trouble makers, and the fact that the mentally ill cannot be taken care of in this country is a tragedy.
    It's not the job of this country to take care of the mentally ill from other countries, who travel through loads of other countries to get to the UK.

(Assuming you're still on about the 3 who chucked themselves out of the tower block. I haven't bothered reading all the thread.)

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I have now decided to believe everything that asylum seekers say, I mean why would they tell anyone lies?

And the system will run much better if we believe everything they say and assume they would not be a potential problem living in the UK. Let them all stay I say.
    I wouldn't go that far. Of course I don't know if they were in treatment or not, surely they should have been if they were not.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Sounds like another Litvinyenko case, did they fall or were they pushed?

Both men KGB/FSB, both men spouting wild claims about Russian government.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Stephen Harper may be a man of minimal personality - some people call him a jackass for perouging(sp?) parliament not once but three times in three years. But I can't imagine him damaging property by pumping radiation in to it. "Trouble" when you read the BBC page could mean criminal trouble - but it didn't did it? Once again BBC coverage of Canada focuses on the negative. I was amazed they got a camera crew there for the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NeverBeenNorthOfTheM25 View Post
    The facts of the matter are they were granted Asylum in Canada, then apparently they played up over there, got into trouble and came over here.
    No - the facts of the matter, now that they are available, say no such thing. They did not play up. They did not get into trouble.

Originally posted by NeverBeenNorthOfTheM25 View Post
    Personally I have no sympathy. They had their chance for salvation in Canada, but blew it. Seems to me like permanent trouble makers. I think weve just saved the government a bit of money in repatriation costs.
    As ever, the voice of reason speaks

They didn't blow it - unless you class being ill "blowing it". They weren't permanent trouble makers, and the fact that the mentally ill cannot be taken care of in this country is a tragedy.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I would say that they were in serious trouble as they were getting radiation pumped into their house by the goverment to control their brain waves.
    Stephen Harper may be a man of minimal personality - some people call him a jackass for perouging(sp?) parliament not once but three times in three years. But I can't imagine him damaging property by pumping radiation in to it. "Trouble" when you read the BBC page could mean criminal trouble - but it didn't did it? Once again BBC coverage of Canada focuses on the negative. I was amazed they got a camera crew there for the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X