• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Two-thirds of EU credit card debt is British"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    or perhaps because the masses all in debt expect as has been the case in the past that as so many are affected the government will bail them out perhaps drawing off wealth from those who were greedy/rich (delete as applicable) enough to save during their life and all in the name of fairness

careful with your savings, they'll have it off you in the future

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    [url]"Britons in debt to the tune of £1.13 trillion "
    And rising.

It will come as a shock when they get to their sixties and realise they won't be able to fund retirement - and in many cases they are still in debt!

When I were a lad there was a growing culture of paying off debts and investing in PEPs and stuff, to build up wealth. That has dissipated over the past few years.

People don't think about their future wealth any more. And as there are so many others in the same boat, they feel some sort of comfort in carrying on like it.

Perhaps a painful recession would be good in the long run, because it might move attitudes in the other direction.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    Milan

Ask yourself what would happen if the US went bankrupt

Cheers

Rebecca

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY
    America currently pays for cheap Chinese imports in anything but cash - it constantly defers payment using options / shares / stocks. This works, so long as the dollar is 'good' and the US is 'good' for its debts.
    Which is why the US will ensure that the dollar stays good, even if it costs a war or two (shame on that evil Saddam Hussein, demanding euros instead of dollars for his oil!)

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    Beccy luv,

"I don't think the world can afford the US to go bankrupt",

what makes you so sure ?

Milan.
    America currently pays for cheap Chinese imports in anything but cash - it constantly defers payment using options / shares / stocks. This works, so long as the dollar is 'good' and the US is 'good' for its debts.

When Uncle Sam is seen as a bad debtor production and trade grind to a halt leading to unemployment. Unemployment is the most complete economic disaster.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Beccy luv,

"I don't think the world can afford the US to go bankrupt",

what makes you so sure ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    would be nice Milan, I'd create lots of tax loopholes for you guys

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Beccy for Chancellor

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Happy and prosperous 2006 all!

Your school of meanness is not a bad idea Xog. Just package it as a new and trendy lifestyle fad and you're off. I think I probably need to sig up!

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    Looks like the UK and the US are fuelling the economies with easy credit.

Will it all end in tears?
    Well, I don't think the world can afford the US to go bankrupt, and the UK is piggy-backing on that.... quite clever. Meanwhile, continental european countries have a more penny-pinching attitude, which cripples their growth. So overall, the UK is probably right to do what it does.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Happy new year to you beans.

I think if I had not got a new contract (bore) I would seriously consider starting a school to teach meanness. I never get into debt because I am extremely mean, I have always considered it a virtue.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    morning Xog, happy new year.

Simple answer, that's to keep the economy growing innit.

No wonder economic growth is soooooo slow in the Euro zone, those countries have much stricter rules on the availability of credit.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Nuff said indeed.

Enterprise act sounds like something intended to encourage enterprise, ie so that people who fail in business can get started again. Not necessarily a bad idea, I believe it is fairly easy in the US and they have a much better record in business success. But why is it used to help feckless individuals with personal debts?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 3 January 2006, 08:34.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    started a topic Two-thirds of EU credit card debt is British

Two-thirds of EU credit card debt is British

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle336255.ece

"Britons in debt to the tune of £1.13 trillion ",

at least bankruptcy is an easier option....

"Bankruptcy has become an easier option for individuals in the past 18 months with the introduction of the 2002 Enterprise Act. For a fee of £500 most borrowers are freed of debt and bankruptcy ends after one year, though there may be continuing problems obtaining credit.",

nuff said.

Milan.

Working...
X