• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Still benched?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Still benched?"

Collapse

• Muttley08
    replied
    I was hours away from accepting a permie role before i got my current gig. After six months looking, I needed something to do, some money etc...

Treat it as a fixed termer, get all the training you can - and try and make the most...just dont get caught in a rutt...

Got a month left at the mo though...and told post is going to be backfilled with a permie - so be back on the bench soon myself.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    Ok,

So I've accepted and started a permie role for a consultancy; however I would like you to consider me still benched and taking the equivalent of a bar job to entertain myself whilst I find a contract...

Agreed?
    Is it OK if I just consider that you have taken a low rate contract to keep food in the kids mouths....

Seriously - A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.......
    Hopefully you might even gain "Experience" to add to your cv.....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    OK - we do what we have to do.

I have considered doing the same, but got a contract just in time. I have also considered going back to a consultancy role, just to pick up new skills for a year or so, its all part of contractings rich tapestry.

- hope you get a nice laptop, and good luck with it all.
    WSS - I'll consider all options at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I just left permie for contract and never wanna go back! Please let the market pick up so I can find another one once this contract finishes!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Ok,

So I've accepted and started a permie role for a consultancy; however I would like you to consider me still benched and taking the equivalent of a bar job to entertain myself whilst I find a contract...

Agreed?
    OK - we do what we have to do.

I have considered doing the same, but got a contract just in time. I have also considered going back to a consultancy role, just to pick up new skills for a year or so, its all part of contractings rich tapestry.

- hope you get a nice laptop, and good luck with it all.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Not a clue; I have to fill in something about where I want my career to go... what does this mean? I've searched permieuk.com to no avail.
    Find out what your manager does. Then write that you want to do what s/he does.

Simples.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    I didn't really want to mess anybody about but am beginning to realise that I need to find something

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    as long as your notice period (in the worst case scenario)...

as long as it takes you to put your underpants on your head and pencils up your nose (in the best case scenario)

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    That's something I've been resisting but the ice is wearing thin now.

How permie is permie?

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    We should have a poll on how long you are going to last in the job.

When is your review?
    Not a clue; I have to fill in something about where I want my career to go... what does this mean? I've searched permieuk.com to no avail.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    We should have a poll on how long you are going to last in the job.

When is your review?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    No. Permie! Permie! Exterminate! Exterminate!

Seriously though, commiserations. I hope it won’t take too long.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    started a topic Still benched?

Still benched?

Ok,

Agreed?

Working...
X