• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Last night BBC2; How safe are our skies?"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    One of these nutty, islamic jihad types only needs to get lucky once to blow 200 - 300 people out of the sky.

CIA Started that trick

and another one

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I suppose it depends what it's 80gms of.
    Pentaerythritol tetranitrate PETN in this case. V powerful explosive, but such a small amount wasn't really very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Er, they did pop some rivets.

And that was more or less it.
    Well alright, but it wasn't exactly a huge explosion.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    One of these nutty, islamic jihad types only needs to get lucky once to blow 200 - 300 people out of the sky.
    Hmm, indeed, but I find the whole thing a little suspicious. The guy’s dad, who was well known and respected at the US Embassy in Lagos, warned the septics about his son. They had his name on lists of terror suspects but only did anything shortly before the plane arrived in Detroit.

Abdulunderpants supposedly studied engineering for some time; he should therefore have had the skills to figure out that his firecracker wouldn’t have caused much damage.

The news channels showed films of a supposed simulation of a similar device in aeroplanes; in those films a huge chunk of aeroplane was thrown into the nearby countryside and we were told that 80 grams of the explosive could have blown the plane out of the sky. In reality, 80 grams couldn’t cause much more damage than a flatulent Mexican.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Or 700+, if it's one of those new super gigantic jobs.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The way carbon footprints are calculated are bollox.
    The facts are:-
    (new) Aircraft are in fact very efficient and per passenger mile more efficient than a single person in a most motorcars.

A motorcar with a driver and a passenger is more efficient than a bus.

A car with just a driver is more efficient than a train with only 25% full.
    So lets ban cars and trains as well. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Decompression incidents are not uncommon on military and civilian aircraft (approximately 40–50 rapid decompression events worldwide annually[17]), however in the majority of cases, the problem is relatively manageable for aircrew.[11] Consequently where passengers and the aircraft do not suffer any ill-effects, the incidents tend not to be notable.[11] Injuries resulting from decompression incidents are rare.[11]

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    On a more serious note:

I recently flew back from Rome and was horrified that security found a camping knife in my rucksack, after a few apologies and leaving the knife behind I was allowed to proceed. BUT why wasn't it found at EMA when I flew out.

BTW I left it in by accident in one those secret hard to find pockets.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    They could just ban flying. That would probably sort out global warming as well.
    The way carbon footprints are calculated are bollox.
    The facts are:-
    (new) Aircraft are in fact very efficient and per passenger mile more efficient than a single person in a most motorcars.

A motorcar with a driver and a passenger is more efficient than a bus.

A car with just a driver is more efficient than a train with only 25% full.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontrolled_decompression

mmmm sounds like fun!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    They could just ban flying. That would probably sort out global warming as well.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    They could just ban hand lugguage, purses, etc, unless you are willing to have it forensically examined for a small fee.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I hope no one from RyanAir is reading this.

wearing your own clothes on the flight £10
    Not being chained to the floor £15

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Why not make them all wear orange jumpsuits and hoods and chain their arms and legs together?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X