• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plan C

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan C"

Collapse

• Money Money Money
    replied
    I didn't look for long, but would have thought the first thing people would do is look at all the cars and see if anything tickles their fancy. I would suggest making it so that you could scroll through the pictures instead of opening and closing each one.

Sorry if I was looking in the wrong place.

HTH

MMM.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Well done mate.

If it makes you rich don't forget to live in Monaco and pay no tax. You'll probably get a knighthood if you do.
    Thanks very much. I won't get rich doing this that's for sure - I'm not in it for the money. I will hopefully though be able to play with the cars I love in my retirement and not have to worry about affording them.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Well done mate.

If it makes you rich don't forget to live in Monaco and pay no tax. You'll probably get a knighthood if you do.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    what's your contingency if they break down on the way to / from the wedding?
    That's a good question and is faced by all owners of vintage vehicles that ply them for hire. If your car throws a piston when you start her up there's nothing much you can do. It's unlikely both would irretrievably break down at the same time though.

We'd use car number 2 as a backup if only one car was ordered, that's straightforward (and in our T&C). But if two cars were ordered we'd see if it was feasible to get away with just one - with a commensurate price adjustment to the hirer of course. Worse case scenario I'd be ringing up all the other wedding car companies and would pay for replacement cars out of my own pocket. Least I could do really. Or I'd rent a luxury self-drive for the day - the most important thing is not to let anyone down.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    what's your contingency if they break down on the way to / from the wedding?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    What have you got with Fins? Big fins. Actually, I mean

Fins

(Adding a black Zodiac to the range for the crumblies?)
    As I've got older I've eschewed the brashness of the late '50s designs for the art deco remodelling that happened when the war year cars were redesigned. So 1949-1953 are my preferred years and I think amongst the prettiest cars of that time were the Buicks. The "straight eight" engines although agricultural are very reliable which makes them ideal for wedding cars - also they were made for a period of 30 years and mechanical spares are not too much of a problem (unlike the trim which is made of unobtainium). What we've found when doing wedding fairs is that people either like them or they don't and people either get what we're doing or they don't. In the same way that I wouldn't run 20/25 Rolls Royces - They are just not for me. We've only just started but the response we are getting is either total non-interest or "I have to have that car". Which suits us fine.

p.s. I reserve the right to buy something with tailfins later on
    Last edited by Lockhouse; 3 March 2010, 07:58.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Nice.

What's your day job?
    Front office IT

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    It took about a minute for the home page to load for me, but it was worth it for the cars.

I'd love a go at your Betty.

If it were me I'd want to have a quicker website and a new menu bar.

Good luck with it though. If they were my cars I'd never let the public in them.
    I loaded some graphics last night and it looks like they need to optimised but I take on board what you say about the website. It's just a Moonfruit jobby I knocked up in a few hours.

The point for me about the cars is that they were meant to be used, not stuck in a garage somewhere. I'd like people to get the same kick out of them as I do. Plus people paying for them keeps them on the road.

A convertible is next but that's a long way off as they are big bucks.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    What have you got with Fins? Big fins. Actually, I mean

Fins

(Adding a black Zodiac to the range for the crumblies?)

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I already have plans A & B. This little beauty is plan C.

Blue Moon Cars

That's a cracking '59 Caddy fin in your avatar, I had a '63 Caddy convertible, it was a totally tulip car I'm afraid, well waank...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Yabadabadoo.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Customers are unlikely to be website-critical. If you can get it fast that should do it - it's not pretty but so many sites are the same it doesn't jump out and make me not want to use your company... I simply figure non-IT businesses can be good at what they do without a flashy site.

Leave a comment:

• Halcyon
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Nice one,

let me know if you want a proper website designed/developed....
    It does have a hint of homebrew about it, but TBQH I think that works better than big corporate jobbie for a business like this

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I seem to remember that "plan B" was a website hiring big yank-tanks for weddings?

R

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Nice one,

let me know if you want a proper website designed/developed....

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Nice.

What's your day job?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X