• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "using home address as the business address"

Collapse

• Lumiere
    replied
    As I remember there were 3 types of addresses:

Registered address - accountant's or virtual office is fine (must be the same jurisdiction where the company is registered)

Trading address - I think this is the one VAT people in HMRC want to know, also banks .. so you can't really use your accountant's address or a PO box. (can be anywhere)

SAIL address - this is where you keep your records and where they are going to come for inspection, could be the accountant's place, I suppose, if you keep everything there (must be the same jurisdiction where the company is registered)
    Last edited by Lumiere; 1 March 2010, 10:35.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I remember that my Grandfather used to have a plaque on his front door because it was his company's address but that is going back twenty to thirty years ago.
    Afaik the need to display the company name at the Registered premesis was done away along with the need for a company secretary.

I don't think it really matters. If HMRC want to conduct an investigation they'll more than likely do it my appointment and ask you to name a place (e.g. accountants).

If you've done enough to warrant a raid (i.e. kicking door down, taking files) they'll go to your house anyway as that's whats listed in the register of shareholders / directors etc.

You're all worrying over nothing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You really don't know how I work from home or my office set up so you can't comment. My accountant can.

You are really pedantic aren't you. I obviously upset you on another thread.

Well grow a pair.
    Of course he can comment without knowing your exact setup. That's the whole point of his argument - it's based on many factors so only those who actually make the decision can tell you for sure.

Also, your accountant may have more general experience in this area, but it's not really in their field of expertise as accountants.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Why don't you at least attempt to stop behaving like a total arse?
    I am consistent in my views, where as Mr BB isn't - when it comes to SueEllen's situation (which does not sound too controversial to me) he says that the final decision rests with "local valuation officer", where in his own situation of using clearly controversial offshore scheme he does not like the fact that HRMC makes that final decision - he likes to rely on "legal opinion" given by barristers.

Maybe I am an arse (to cheats and such like) - but at least I am a consistent arse.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Apparently he isn't that pedantic when it comes to deciding whether an offshore tax dodge scheme is legit or not...
    Why don't you at least attempt to stop behaving like a total arse?

Any regular reader of CUK knows you don't see eye to eye with Bolshie there's no need for you to try to bait him in unrelated threads.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You are really pedantic aren't you.
    Apparently he isn't that pedantic when it comes to deciding whether an offshore tax dodge scheme is legit or not...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Sorry, again, but that's not quite right. The only people who can definitely say whether you're liable or not to BR is the local valuation officer.
    You really don't know how I work from home or my office set up so you can't comment. My accountant can.

You are really pedantic aren't you. I obviously upset you on another thread.

Well grow a pair.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do those of you using your home address as official registered business address display a plaque indicating this fact? I seem to recall that this is a legal requirement, technically speaking?
    Yep but no one I know who has a business registered from their address or their parents address did this.
    I remember that my Grandfather used to have a plaque on his front door because it was his company's address but that is going back twenty to thirty years ago.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Speaking to my accountant and doing investigation how I've use my home for business means I'm not liable to pay business rates.
    Sorry, again, but that's not quite right. The only people who can definitely say whether you're liable or not to BR is the local valuation officer.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Do those of you using your home address as official registered business address display a plaque indicating this fact? I seem to recall that this is a legal requirement, technically speaking?
    Yep but no one I know who has a business registered from their address or their parents address did this.

I have a mental image of my accountant having a room just lined with little metal plaques, like some weird trophy case.
    The office services and accountants who do it tend to have a lines of business plaques business stuck outside their entrance or in reception.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I think that requirement went away with the latest revision of the Companies Act. Which is a shame.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    I had the same but some of my company letters were stolen .
    and a few iphones were purchased by someone using my company letters .
    Now i have changed it back to my home address.
    1)Your post can be stolen regardless where it's sent to.
    2)Your official address doesn't have to be used as a correspondence address

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Mine has been changed to that of my accountants.

I didn't want any conflicts with home insurance etc...
    I had the same but some of my company letters were stolen .
    and a few iphones were purchased by someone using my company letters .
    Now i have changed it back to my home address.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I have a mental image of my accountant having a room just lined with little metal plaques, like some weird trophy case.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Sorry that's incorrect. Having customers visit your home isnt the single criteria. You could still be liable to BR for using your home or part of it as an office.
    Speaking to my accountant and doing investigation how I've use my home for business means I'm not liable to pay business rates.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X