• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why Are People Keen To Get Out Of IT?"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    My GP is an acquaintance of one of my friends' who is a doctor and her mother, who I also know and is also one of his patients, asked him.

I know a lot about GPs salaries because I end up mixing with GPs and some other specialities due to the people I know.

Most GPs are salaried and earn a lot less. Only partners earn that much but that also depends on the type of practice they run. Plus it's very difficult now to get to be a GP let alone a partner in a GP practice.
    The vast majority of GPs are partners and will be for quite a few years.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    How do you know your GP is on 200k a year?
    My GP is an acquaintance of one of my friends' who is a doctor and her mother, who I also know and is also one of his patients, asked him.

I know a lot about GPs salaries because I end up mixing with GPs and some other specialities due to the people I know.

Most GPs are salaried and earn a lot less. Only partners earn that much but that also depends on the type of practice they run. Plus it's very difficult now to get to be a GP let alone a partner in a GP practice.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    You still have to stick your finger up old men's arses.
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    yep, I'll do that for 200K. Nurse! pass the rubber gloves please

I think there are some old men out there who pay a good hourly rate for that service. You wouldn't be far off 200k if you charged £100/hour and did 8 hours a day. Plan B?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    All this talk of the death of I.T. is a bit like the proverbial ejaculation before she's had enough*.
    *premature.
    As long as I'm happy...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    My own GP is on £200K a year
    How do you know your GP is on 200k a year?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    yep, I'll do that for 200K. Nurse! pass the rubber gloves please

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I used to love IT (what happened to ICT?) but any interest I had has been killed off by coporate IT. Now it's just the money.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    All this talk of the death of I.T. is a bit like the proverbial ejaculation before she's had enough*. I.T. is still thriving and will continue to thrive, you're just having a bit of a downturn and like all downturns everyone gets pessimistic and says it's the end of I.T.

Here in Oz where there was no recession there is a ton of contract work. And as always it's work than cannot be done by someone in India because it requires interpersonal skills because you need to be able to communicate with the business.

I really like IT contracting and don't think that it's changed much in 15 years, rather I have evolved to be more about business processes and less about development - something that articles on this site have been talking about for ages - it's about communication skills these days.

I do have a long-term plan that revolves around further property development that will one day (I hope) take me away from IT, but in the meantime I love it.

*premature.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    To a business, IT is like the plumbing or the electrics, in that, rather than water or electricity, you are piping information.

I've used computers in my work for 30 years. I've even programmed them to help do my job. But I don't consider myself to be "in IT", I just use it.
    So.... not much use to this thread at all really then?

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    I dunno- I had a similar situation the other week, we wanted a bit of SQL to do a quick data cleanse, extract and move to a new DB. I did this while on a teleconf, outsourcing 'partner' pointed to their standard T&C's and would charge us a minimum of 5 days regardless of how long the task actually took.

PZZ
    Sorry, who posted this?

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You may get retired much earlier than you think if you don't stop your annoying habit of adding PZZ for all your posts
    LMAO but if he didn't do that how would we know who posted the message?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

so once i pay off my mortgage i'll find a proper job. one that i can do when there is no power...

Carriage lamp fitter?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    the work is dull

the people are dull

the money is great

so once i pay off my mortgage i'll find a proper job. one that i can do when there is no power...

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Do you get to ask them if they like movies about gladiators too?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    How about becoming a GP?

Pay is over 100K, and all you have do to is dish out valium/antibiotics/corn plasters. You dont even have to draw blood, that's what nurses are for

Leave a comment:

Working...
X