• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Open University

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Open University"

Collapse

• lje
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    yep...that's why doing it full time is probably the only suitable path for me.
    pricey though
    Yep - pricey and an unbelievable amount of work. But I learnt loads and got lots out of doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by lje View Post
    I did a full time MBA last year. I loved it - but you can't underestimate the amount of work.
    yep...that's why doing it full time is probably the only suitable path for me.
    pricey though

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    MBA on the horizon but I'll do it full time I think
    I did a full time MBA last year. I loved it - but you can't underestimate the amount of work.

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Thanks for mentioning that, it is something I want to learn and never thought of trying the OU. Living out in the sticks I have been trying to find a tutor but proven impossible out here.
    It's quite a new course. There are some optional face to face tutorials but there are also online tutorials too. Very good - covers high level Chinese culture stuff and things too.

A few years ago I did some Astronomy and Cosmology courses with the OU too - they were all excellent.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post

Are they expensive these courses then?
    Depends on what level, what subject and the number of points the course is worth.

The cheapest 10 point courses are about £150 there as some postgraduate/professional qualifications courses can be around £1000.

However the prices are increasing every year by about 4% due to government funding cuts.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Worth noting for anyone thinking of trying the OU, you can use your Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for OU courses at 4x face value. In May they're changing the scheme to only cover level 1 courses, although any course you register on before the end of May can be paid for with the vouchers.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I am in my last semester for my BSc and am planning on starting my MSc in September in Construction Contract Law & Dispute Resolution.

You can never have too much education.

I did the BSc on day release the MSc is done in 6nr 3 day blocks per semester, not really looked at OU as I prefer a lecture based approach, but we are all different.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...laces-cut.html

You don't need a Phd to lecture at University - they are crying out for real world experience.

T
    As a part time tutor you need no teaching experience, as I have learnt with some of my lectures this can mean you get total tulip lecturers they may know the subject - they just cannot pass it on in a meaningful way.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...laces-cut.html

You don't need a Phd to lecture at University - they are crying out for real world experience.

T

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I have a fossil mad daughter (she asked for trilobites for her 7th birthday!)
    A woodlouse with a little sn0rkel and magnifying glass works just as well.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I fancied this one

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...ourse/s193.htm

I just want a deeper understanding, I'm not bothered about the qualification, I just want to learn more, also I have a fossil mad daughter (she asked for trilobites for her 7th birthday!)

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied

I've never been to Montana, but we had great fun collecting crinoids in Clitheroe the other week
    I've got Crinoid stem bits sat in the ashtray on the bookshelf beside my 'pooter.

Wish i'd carried on with it, the dinosaur bits were cool but we did a lot of crystallography which i didn't like at all - all chemistry, meh. Then i swapped to Mining Engineering, that was good.

I originally worked in that stuff but spent a few years logging drill core, not the Indiana Jones stuff i had in my head.

This looks like it'd be good: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...urse/sa188.htm

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I did that for my degree course. I could be roaming Montana now in an amusing hat and sporting a magnificent beard.

Instead i'm developing Web Services.

Don't know where it all went wrong

I've never been to Montana, but we had great fun collecting crinoids in Clitheroe the other week

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    I did that for my degree course. I could be roaming Montana now in an Indiana Jones hat and sporting a magnificent beard.

'cause you went after the money

Dunno why people spend 3-4 years studying real interesting stuff only to head off in a completely different direction - madness

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Hmm, I may have a look to see if they do any courses on paleontology.....
    I did that for my degree course. I could be roaming Montana now in an Indiana Jones hat and sporting a magnificent beard.

Last edited by Durbs; 27 February 2010, 10:39.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X