• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Official Cheer Up Drewster Thread"

Collapse

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    How you doing today Drewster?

Can I talk you through the Everton v Spurs game 1pmGMT?

Did you got out for a foul?

Been a bit quiet. Wondered if you had Dubai belly.
    All fine and dandy with the world thanks....
    I've been working hard yesterday and today.

Due to time diff 8-5ish for me is 5-2ish for you.

So Spurs at 1pm is 4pm (or was 4pm)..... and as its now 5:45 they should have finished... So what was the score then??

I did manage to see most of the Rugby yesterday.... which was nice.

I'm off for a swim and a sauna now.... and I might have a little cycle in the Gym....

Laters

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    How you doing today Drewster?

Can I talk you through the Everton v Spurs game 1pmGMT?

Did you got out for a foul?

Been a bit quiet. Wondered if you had Dubai belly.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I got my 17 yr old daughter a Sarong last year. It's just a length of cloth so you dont have to worry about size etc, and they can wear it any way they wish. Her friends were truly envious (which makes it a good present, thanks daddy)

Thats a great idea........ unfortunately the only thing Saudi women (and women visiting Saudi) wear in public is an Abaya..... Now you can buy very expensive "Designer" Abaya and you can buy cheaper "Bog Normal" Abaya and every shade in between but (since I mention shade) an Abaya is basically a large BLACK Curtain that covers said ladies from neck to ankle and wrist.....

I can just picture it now....... Hello Mrs D and/or MiddleD-ette - I spent a lot of time and effort choosing the perfect presents - here have this Designer Abaya. Please try it on at once as it makes you look a bit like a Dalek.....

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I got my 17 yr old daughter a Sarong last year. It's just a length of cloth so you dont have to worry about size etc, and they can wear it any way they wish. Her friends were truly envious (which makes it a good present, thanks daddy)

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Well:
    There is Mrs D, and The D-ettes 22, 17 and 11

22 is "sorted" ie She wants me to look for fake/shonky Chanel Handbags.
    17 - Not even the tiniest clue of an idea.... possibly tat/touristy baubles ??
    11 - Mmmmm see above... possibly easier ie She is less likely to say "WTF is this Tulip?"
    Mrs D.... This is the tricky one..... I think I will look at the Jewellry options.... plus tourist tat etc obviously..... Unless I get some HELP
    Ah - I thought the girls were little girls!

Still I think CJ is right you can't go wrong with the jewellery option!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    There you go, you are now pre-gifted and pre-forgiven

It also helps if you constantly act shifty and secretive. Then if you do ever sh@g another bird , and have to cover it up, she wont notice

I take your point... and as I am such a caring guy I am taking this opportunity to get just such a random gift.. its not for B'day or anything just "for the sake of it".............

Just as an aside - why would you go to the effort of using bold before "hiding" your postscript.... only asking

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Mrs D.... This is the tricky one..... I think I will look at the Jewellry options.... plus tourist tat etc obviously..... Unless I get some HELP
    I view this as a Strategic problem rather than a tactical one. What you have done here is boxed yourself into a corner, you now have one more thing to worry about, just when you least need it.

The solution - 'Pre-gifting'.

All through the year at random times, buy her a pressie. choccies, handbag , shoes , perfume, dvd etc.
    'You know how rubbish I am at remembering significant dates, and if I go away for work I dont get the time - so I got you this'

There you go, you are now pre-gifted and pre-forgiven

It also helps if you constantly act shifty and secretive. Then if you do ever sh@g another bird , and have to cover it up, she wont notice

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Oh yes - the gold jewellery out there will go down well.

And the perfumes (I mean the ones outside of the duty-free, handmade ones...)
    I like the Gold idea... there is loads of that..... not that subtle (see below)

There is also loads of perfumes and stuff - my only problem here is that I don't know if the stuff they are selling is meant for drinking, washing up or cleaning drains..... Seriously the Saudi mentality is not to go for a small discrete bottle - the bigger, brighter and louder the better and I have seen "perfume" bottles that hold about a gallon..... and they sell them in presentation sets (Leather case, velvet lined) of 1/2 a dozen.....

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    How old are the kids? I remember when my Dad used to go away, he'd bring back some of the local sweets and we loved it. He also used to bring us back things like pens notebooks and stuff - we could bring them to school and say look what my Dad brough me back. Cheap pressies but at the time we thought they were ace!
    Well:
    There is Mrs D, and The D-ettes 22, 17 and 11

22 is "sorted" ie She wants me to look for fake/shonky Chanel Handbags.
    17 - Not even the tiniest clue of an idea.... possibly tat/touristy baubles ??
    11 - Mmmmm see above... possibly easier ie She is less likely to say "WTF is this Tulip?"

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Jewellery is always well received. I'm sure the ladies/laydees will back me up on this??
    Oh yes - the gold jewellery out there will go down well.

And the perfumes (I mean the ones outside of the duty-free, handmade ones...)

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Right...
    I have cycled a few Ks in the gym....
    I have swum a few lengths of the pool....
    Dhuhr prayers should just be winding down....
    (Everything outside the Hotel stops for prayers..... not everyone actually goes through the praying rituals but they all shut up shop (literally) and nothing happens)
    Time to wander out to get some lunch and/or shopping....

Come on girls.... still need prezzie ideas for "my" girls.......
    How old are the kids? I remember when my Dad used to go away, he'd bring back some of the local sweets and we loved it. He also used to bring us back things like pens notebooks and stuff - we could bring them to school and say look what my Dad brought me back. Cheap pressies but at the time we thought they were ace!
    Last edited by cailin maith; 26 February 2010, 10:22.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Who said that?
    It was that hairy bloke over there....

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Right...
    I have cycled a few Ks in the gym....
    I have swum a few lengths of the pool....
    Dhuhr prayers should just be winding down....
    (Everything outside the Hotel stops for prayers..... not everyone actually goes through the praying rituals but they all shut up shop (literally) and nothing happens)
    Time to wander out to get some lunch and/or shopping....

Come on girls.... still need prezzie ideas for "my" girls.......

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    You will go blind
    Who said that?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    One word of advice though, a word of warning actually. Being away from female company for so long can lead you to overdo the er.. you know, pot noodle activity. Your little fella can get a bit raw, sometimes even bleeding and stuff.
    The solution - get yourself a jar of vaseline or hand cream, two sheets of A4paper, a lolly ice stick, two paper clips and a copy of razzle

Now make a paper boat and sail it in the bath and put yer kn0b away, you dirty boy

You will go blind

Leave a comment:

Working...
X