• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thought for the day [25/02/10]"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    IBM Surely ?

Wasn't there a saying about no one ever got fired buying IBM or something ?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    We don't buy racks, we're rentboys !
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    When I were a techie, like, we bought some Rittal racks which, IIRC, were compatible with Dell servers.
    We don't buy racks, we rent 'em!

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    When I were a techie, like, we bought some Rittal racks.

IIRC, they were compatible with Dell servers and came with the rails as well.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    All airlines have different options, base configurations and add ons, typically it helps if you bother to investigate the options to find the best value package for your requirements, that of course requires some flexibility, ability to read ad understand the options. So if you land in "Frankfurt" which is actually 50 miles miles away then it's your fault, you should not have assumed that Frankfurt actually means just that Frankfurt.

So when you buy Dell, which is the Ryanair of server suppliers, then don't complain that they are a wee bit tulipe. You get what you pay for - you get Dell.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They charge you to piss in the server room?
    I am NOT Wilmslow!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Yeah but on the plus side, Ryanair only charged me £26 for a return flight home next month

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I'm not bothering with warranty any longer. If it fails, it gets binned, and a new one installed.

It costs too much to even talk to some service desk wonk to get an engineer out.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Dell is the RyanAir of rack server makers.

They charge you to piss in the server room?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    It's a Ryanair supplier - base units are cheap but if you want to add some stuff on top (like more RAM) then you get ripped off.

Food for thoughts:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...ied_hdds_only/

Granted we bought those boxes because they are so cheap and since we will use them in redundant setup to do routing/web farm it should suit us nicely, but no way I'll buy higher end Dell boxes.
    You believe what you chose to believe in your own blinkered way.

I've bought and implemented thousands of servers over the years as an Engineer and PM and found all the big suppliers and their approved dealers much the same.

All suppliers have different options, base configurations and add ons, typically it helps if you bother to investigate the options to find the best value package for your requirements, that of course requires some flexibility, ability to read ad understand the options.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I've found Dell to be fine as a server supplier, no better or worse than any of the others I've bought hundreds from.
    It's a Ryanair supplier - base units are cheap but if you want to add some stuff on top (like more RAM) then you get ripped off.

Food for thoughts:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...ied_hdds_only/

Granted we bought those boxes because they are so cheap and since we will use them in redundant setup to do routing/web farm it should suit us nicely, but no way I'll buy higher end Dell boxes.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Dell is the RyanAir of rack server makers.

as in standing room only?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    No, we just forgot to order rails with them, grrr - rack server without rails ffs!

Either way we sure stick to SuperMicro for important stuff...
    The muppetry was yours for not ordering the right kit, incidentally some people do buy rack servers without rails as they have unsuitable racks or just want the smaller case, it's far from uncommon.

Server rack rails are expensive no matter what manufacturer you buy from especially if you order them separately.

I've found Dell to be fine as a server supplier, no better or worse than any of the others I've bought hundreds from.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    will they fail?
    No, we just forgot to order rails with them, grrr - rack server without rails ffs!

Either way we sure stick to SuperMicro for important stuff...

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    will they fail?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X