• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SUV is the best choice of car"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    So I think people with SUVs should be applauded, they've made a smart choice. As for the green issue, sod the planet, it will still be here when we've all gone.
    Even that is more of a stereotype than reality. They are not so much more polluting than a normal car and they are just as polluting as average big size cars. Besides, I was reading somewhere that they have more recyclable part than normal cars...

If I could go back I'd buy the Nissan SUV today, good for the city and good for the motorway too.
    Last edited by Francko; 21 February 2010, 16:05.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Personally I think a diesel hatchback/estate/MPV is more suitable, don't get me wrong I would have an SUV but when diesel hits £2-£3 a litre I'd rather have something that does 60-70mpg so I can still afford to eat.

Saying that, the new small turbo petrol engined cars may be the better bet. I read recently that diesel is getting more expensive down to the type of oil available yielding petrol easier than diesel.
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 21 February 2010, 13:04.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Range Rovers are only driven by bling laden drug dealers in the city.

I like Range Rovers...

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
    You could of at least come out with 'Poor man's Range Rover' ..
    Range Rovers are only driven by bling laden drug dealers in the city. I know I drove through Mosside yesterday and you couldn't move for them!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Am waiting for my new Nissan Qashqai SUV to be delivered in the next couple of weeks...
    Wife got one of those recently- trouble is it was a replacement for her Mitsubishi Shogun & a bit of a disappointment - having driven it I have to agree

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Hope you live in the city
    What kind of reply is that from a Troll?

You could of at least come out with 'Poor man's Range Rover' ..

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    ah.... you're on the first steps to getting old - comfort over style & common sense over bravado. Welcome to the club
    It's ok, he'll see the light & buy a second hand baby SUV & a Caterham for the garage / occasional day out.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Picked up my 1st SUV yesterday, Land Rover Discovery 3.

It's f**king great!
    Hope you live in the city

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Add another point to the list:

6. Better suited (in diesel/auto form) for cruising about so you finish the journey relaxed, without the temptation to race about like an idiot to the next traffic jam.

I'm getting tired of shelling out loads for sporty cars that barely do 30mpg, only to be stuck in traffic behind morons doing 40 in a 60, getting frustrated that there's no safe overtaking opportunities due to the amount of traffic on the roads. I'm sure that's a large factor in the number of A road deaths.

Also tired of sport suspension and low profile tyres, which while great on perfectly smooth roads, are poor on the majority of the roads we have.
    ah.... you're on the first steps to getting old - comfort over style & common sense over bravado. Welcome to the club

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Picked up my 1st SUV yesterday, Land Rover Discovery 3.

It's f**king great!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Add another point to the list:

6. Better suited (in diesel/auto form) for cruising about so you finish the journey relaxed, without the temptation to race about like an idiot to the next traffic jam.

I'm getting tired of shelling out loads for sporty cars that barely do 30mpg, only to be stuck in traffic behind morons doing 40 in a 60, getting frustrated that there's no safe overtaking opportunities due to the amount of traffic on the roads. I'm sure that's a large factor in the number of A road deaths.

Also tired of sport suspension and low profile tyres, which while great on perfectly smooth roads, are poor on the majority of the roads we have.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    If I was going for a big SUV, I'd go Land Cruiser or Disco.

All of the others just seem a bit to "car-like"

That may be part of the appeal. Something that drives like a car (well, as close as you can get for a heavy lump with a high centre of gravity) but has the other benefits I listed that mean cars are now a compromise on our roads.

Certainly if you intend doing any proper off-roading at all, and not just a few days of driving in snow a year, then the big stuff is where the real deal is, though from what I've seen they have relatively poor MPG so not that suitable for commuting or visiting client sites when one of the baby SUVs will do the job just as well.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    If I was going for a big SUV, I'd go Land Cruiser or Disco.

All of the others just seem a bit to "car-like"

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Am waiting for my new Nissan Qashqai SUV to be delivered in the next couple of weeks...
    We looked at one of those a few weeks back, I like them.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X