• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ah Salaam Alekheim - Boomed!!"

Collapse

• BoltonLad
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You wouldn't get me to go there for £1000/day.

Not keen.
    Same with us.

We did refuse a few offers some time back.

Known devil is better than unknown angel attitue.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by BoltonLad View Post
    work culture.

guess who hasn't been there

Leave a comment:

• BoltonLad
    replied

All the best!

Also share your experience about the your colleagues and over all work culture.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Thanks for the food advice.... I shall explore that avenue.....

Errrrr Thanks for the Girly advice... but I shall not be exploring that avenue... Happily paired up (and on skype to Mrs Drewster and the Littlest Drewsterette as I type!)

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    You can't suggest any good Forums can you.... I have found one but it doesn't seem particularly active.....
    sorry nope...never did find one that was any good though it was about 8 years ago. Maybe get down the diving beach and start there?
    Walk around the shopping centres and see if you can find some "white eyes", the worst they can say is go away.
    Obviously finding a white lass (if you're single) isn't too easy, but there are some nursey types still around. Philipino is probably the way to go so don't go turning your nose up (not that you would) at that side of the expat workforce.

They seem to organise more get togethers and have more fun than the westerners too.

Al Nakeel is the beach we used to go to...there are others.

P.S. The food is pretty good in Jeddah. Try and find cheap Thai / Indian places, they cater largely to those ethnicities and are hence usually good value and tasty.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Enjoy, and best of luck.
    Ta.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    That's pretty lucky....been around Saudi quite a lot and Jeddah is by far my "favourite" place. Actually I think it's the only place I'd work if I HAD to go back but even then we'd have to be talking quite substantial bucks.

Next step, get set up with the expat community, hit the diving beaches and have some nice walks around. The novelty won't wear off for ages (if you've not been before)
    You can't suggest any good Forums can you.... I have found one but it doesn't seem particularly active.....

And are there any Badminton Clubs that you know of?

Oh and...... well any suggestions really...... I am out here on and off for a few months so I might be able to get round to some stuff..... either that or sit in my room on CUK....

I am actually with a Brit (who has been here for a little while) for this week so he will hopefully be able to shed some light.....
    Last edited by Drewster; 19 February 2010, 09:11.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Toolpusher
    Make sure you read up on and understand all the local customs and regulations. This should help you leave the country with the same number of body parts with which you entered.
    Good advice! You are expected to know every aspect of their culture from social graces to hand gestures (and a lot of ours are "unacceptable"), and in return they won't give a sh1t about your customs. It's "fit in or f**k off".

He's a queer cove, Johnny Ayrab.

Enjoy, and best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    That's pretty lucky....been around Saudi quite a lot and Jeddah is by far my "favourite" place. Actually I think it's the only place I'd work if I HAD to go back but even then we'd have to be talking quite substantial bucks.

Next step, get set up with the expat community, hit the diving beaches and have some nice walks around. The novelty won't wear off for ages (if you've not been before)

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Make sure you read up on and understand all the local customs and regulations. This should help you leave the country with the same number of body parts with which you entered.

Enjoy yourself and eat well!
    What you mean like.... Not running upto a woman in the street, goosing her and shouting 'allo darlin! Gissa kiss.......

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Not Riyadh by any chance?
    No Jeddah... Just got into Hotel (circa 5am) plane landed about 3:30am - it was 78F/25C...... it was snowing when I left home this morning (well yesterday morning actually!
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Got a saudi job offer last week! Wasn't for me tho' best of luck!!!!
    Cheers
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Congrats!
    Make plenty of hay while the sun shines!
    Thank you
    Originally posted by NeverBeenNorthOfTheM25 View Post
    Better you than me .......... Saudi Arabia isnt exactly known for its party atmoshpere ....... nothing less than £500 a day would get me out there.
    Well obviously better me than you.......... although if I had known you would do it for that rate I would have subbed it to you.
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ta
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Well done!

Merci
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Congratulations!
    Grazi
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Looks like you'll no longer be able to read the "one-a-day" thread either for a while.
    Tulip! I didn't think this through did I!!!
    Hmmmm....
    I wonder if he'd even be allowed to read the How do you brew beer to 41%? thread?

(By the way, nice one Drewster! )
    Noooooo I really didn't think this through!

Later all..... I may have to start a Jeddah Weather Report Thread!
    Last edited by Drewster; 19 February 2010, 03:24.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Bin waiting for new role to come through..... bit of paperwork.... sorted.... tulip need 6 months on Passport.... sorted..... need letter from sponsor.... wait... sorted.... apply for Visa..... waiting for Visa.... waiting for Visa..... waiting for Visa....

Saudi Embassy not the most communicative in the world....

Done and dusted as of 16:00..... flight tomorrow..... (better finish off the packing) my next post will probably be from the Kingdom.... Insh'allah!
    Looks like you'll no longer be able to read the "one-a-day" thread either for a while.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Bin waiting for new role to come through..... bit of paperwork.... sorted.... tulip need 6 months on Passport.... sorted..... need letter from sponsor.... wait... sorted.... apply for Visa..... waiting for Visa.... waiting for Visa..... waiting for Visa....

Saudi Embassy not the most communicative in the world....

Done and dusted as of 16:00..... flight tomorrow..... (better finish off the packing) my next post will probably be from the Kingdom.... Insh'allah!
    Well done!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X