• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EDS scoops £4bn MoD outsourcing contract"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Come on chaps, let's get it in perspective. There's no problem, real or imagined.

Allegedly...

You may remember the problems with an MOD network sinking under the weight of that spoof Amarillo video a while back? That was DII. It also has been built with about 4Tb of mail storage to cater for about 40Tb of legacy data. You would not believe the technical answer to that one, but it centres on Read-only storage. And I won't even begin to criticise the non-redundant technical design.

There were two primary consortia in the final bid process, one with EDS and one with EDS. The third one, the one without EDS, dropped out early.

The contract they are working to is a further update of an existing, 11 year old, 750-odd page contract for the support of an NT4 system that can be read to say anything you want it to say.

(An example - I was in a senior meeting with an EDS exec who claimed they were doing Problem Management because they had agreed to redefine the ITIL term "Problem". He got upset when I pointed out that in that case I was using the original ITIL definition - the one on page three in the ITIL books - and so no, you aren't doing problem management and please can we have a rebate on that proportion of your charges.)

The perfomance measures were so wooly and incomplete that MOD are paying £1m a month support costs with no idea what they are getting in return.

I could go on. Sadly, none of the farrago of chaos and incompetence will ever reach the outside world. Official secrets, doncherknow...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    >In Denmark one of the political parties wants to disband the army, navy, airforce etc. and replace them with an answering machine saying "We surrender".

They've got LiBDems in Denmark as well?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    In Denmark one of the political parties wants to disband the army, navy, airforce etc. and replace them with an answering machine saying "We surrender".

Somehow, methinks, that after blowing 4bn on yet another EDS fsck up the UK won't even have the answering machine...

Leave a comment:

• messiah
    replied
    god help us.

Leave a comment:

• dazza12
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    this was announced over 6 months ago...

In fact, I think it was announced that EDS had it well before the tender was made public. At least Blair and Co and the directors of EDS knew anyway. I think it was in the exchange of envelopes. Used, non sequential notes.

Only Liebour could reward a company that has failed on almost every government contract they have had.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes, I missed it.

Thought it was worth highlighting in the interests of "fairness" to the tax-payers here (and Ms Loos).

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    this was announced over 6 months ago...

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    hohohohohohohoho EDS and Logica together, now that should be a laugh... Now they just need Capita to run it on the ground and Accidenture to manage it top level and we could be talking about the fastest way ever to burn £4bn!!!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I do not believe it

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I can't possibly comment. I was in on the Service Delivery Design for MOD and expressed serious concerns about governance plans. They've gone ahead with so many flaws... but it's classified so I can't talk about it!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    That's £4,000,000,000 of taxpayers money down the pan.......

and not a single comment.......

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic EDS scoops £4bn MoD outsourcing contract

EDS scoops £4bn MoD outsourcing contract

http://management.silicon.com/govern...9128279,00.htm

The EDS-led Atlas consortium has won the £4bn Ministry of Defence (MoD) Defence Information Infrastructure (DII) outsourcing contract, one of the biggest outsourcing deals ever.

The Atlas consortium beat off the CSC-led Radii grouping. The latter comprised three well-known IT companies - BT and Thales as well as CSC - versus the six partners working with EDS.

Speaking at a press conference held at MoD headquarters in London today, a senior MoD official said the department is confident all the companies in the Atlas consortium will perform well. Besides EDS, Atlas includes Cogent, Fujitsu Services, General Dynamics and LogicaCMG as well as HP and IBM who were at one stage in separate competing consortia.

Well-documented failings by EDS at the Inland Revenue and Department for Work and Pensions meant that until recently Radii had been many industry watchers' favourite to win the giant DII contract. However, the MoD spokesman said due diligence had been done at reference sites at home and overseas and the department is confident past mistakes won't be repeated.

Oh Dear!

More jobs for Indian IT staff. More tax to pay for the cock-ups to come.

Feck me. I wonder how much this consortium of motley cowboys had to "donate" to the New Lie to win this one?

Working...
X