• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good thing or Bad thing?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I am open to discussion on both sides of this in the name of equality and all that marlarky but the following comment horrifies me...

Surely this is so fundamentally wrong when he is supposed to be a Judge? Should UK law not matter most? By his own admission his rules will be biased towards his religion therefor not fit to sit in the position he holds?

Don't normally wade in to discussion on race and equality but this has really irked me.
    WHS, and I'm sure he must have broken his oath to administer the law without fear or favour.

edit: According to the BBC article, he's retired. So it was a personal opinion rather than an official judgement.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 February 2010, 12:53.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Which country are you talking about?
    This one, you know, the one with a load of unelected bishops in the House of Lords!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Teenage schoolboy: (thinks) That lad's got a flash knife. I want one.

flick

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Teenage schoolboy: (thinks) That lad's got a flash knife. I want one.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I am open to discussion on both sides of this in the name of equality and all that marlarky but the following comment horrifies me...

"The fact that I'm a Sikh matters more to me than anything else," he said.
    Surely this is so fundamentally wrong when he is supposed to be a Judge? Should UK law not matter most? By his own admission his rules will be biased towards his religion therefor not fit to sit in the position he holds?

Don't normally wade in to discussion on race and equality but this has really irked me.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Maybe we should disassociate the church from the government too.
    Which country are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    Catholic schools as well? In a Church if England state?
    Which part of "Remove religious symbolism from all schools." didn't you understand?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    Maybe we should disassociate the church from the government too.

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Remove religious symbolism from all schools.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The deeper issue is if religious law is higher than the law of the land, last week is was for the Catholics so the sikhs are having a go this week, the blade is not really the issue, the non euopean relgions are all lining up now to see how they stack up in importance to the Catholic religion.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    There have been devout Sikh's living in this country for decades and it hasn't been an issue yet. Sounds like a load of fuss over nothing to me.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Remove religious symbolism from all schools.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8500712.stm

Asking for trouble if you ask me. Can just see some little racist ned dragged in front of the Beak for using one on some puny little Sikh and claiming he had "been threatened first and was only protecting himself"!

What do the Panel think?
    I suppose little amy in class 'Hedgehog' could take her litte cross off and poke your eye out with it, or strangle you with her rosary beads. Or Hadiyah from 'Tortoise' could take her naquib off and smother you with it. A blunt ceremonial knife is just a religious symbol
    either leave well alone or ban one, ban them all

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    started a topic Good thing or Bad thing?

Good thing or Bad thing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8500712.stm

Asking for trouble if you ask me. Can just see some little racist ned dragged in front of the Beak for using one on some puny little Sikh and claiming he had "been threatened first and was only protecting himself"!

What do the Panel think?

Working...
X