• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Christmas Time Off

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Christmas Time Off"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    The difference is illusory. You said it yourself: English has "intotherestaurant", "attherestaurant", "goingtothe restaurant", "comingfromtherestaurant". It just happens that in English we call the extra bits Prepositions and say they are separate words.
    It would be illusory if the suffixes, prefixes and the entire root word don't change!

However, they do on virtually all words and contextes. It follows a sort of vowel harmony but there are plenty of exceptions.

Helpfully, my tutor said "you just kind of pick it up as you go along". She also said that people who have been studying this for 3 years have problems with basic grammer and vowel harmony as it's so complex.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I can categorically say that Hungarian is an absolute bugg*r to learn.

The most confusing thing is that while we have one word for say "restaurant" they use a bunch of suffixes and prefixes to describe that word in different contexts. Into the restaurant, at the restaurant, going to the restaurant, coming from the restaurant... and no personal pronouns.

At least I can say basic sentences now. And obviously lots of rude swearwords.
    The difference is illusory. You said it yourself: English has "intotherestaurant", "attherestaurant", "goingtothe restaurant", "comingfromtherestaurant". It just happens that in English we call the extra bits Prepositions and say they are separate words.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Yes, I just found out that even if you speak perfect Hungarian with a perfect accent, if your word order is wrong then you sound like a thick, uneducated local apparantly.

Well, the m-in-law finally picked up I had learnt some Hungarian and was suitably impressed. I started reading some of the local papers there and could pick up 1 word in 8 or so but as I started to understand the preffix/suffix nature of the language I could work out the context.

Still, as Francko says, only another 10 years to go...

Lovely snowy weather there though. Have put on a stone and sent my cholesterol levels through the roof.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    learning a foreign language is one of the best ways to exercise the mind. You may have to eat your words when the Hungarian and Lithuanian economies overtake the UK
    I can categorically say that Hungarian is an absolute bugg*r to learn.

The most confusing thing is that while we have one word for say "restaurant" they use a bunch of suffixes and prefixes to describe that word in different contexts. Into the restaurant, at the restaurant, going to the restaurant, coming from the restaurant... and no personal pronouns.

At least I can say basic sentences now. And obviously lots of rude swearwords.

Leave a comment:

• TGAOTU
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    learning a foreign language is one of the best ways to exercise the mind. You may have to eat your words when the Hungarian and Lithuanian economies overtake the UK
    You're getting truck drivers from there too?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Oh dear. Hope you have 10 years ahead. :-)

It's a good tip for someone who is bored of life. Learn hungarian, finnish and lithuanian and surely this takes a whole life.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I'm also learning Hungarian so at least this time around I can see what the mother-in-law has been saying about me. She doesn't know I'm learning it either. Heh heh...
    Oh dear. Hope you have 10 years ahead. :-)

It's a good tip for someone who is bored of life. Learn hungarian, finnish and lithuanian and surely this takes a whole life.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Off to the inlaws for 2 weeks in Hungary - lots of snow at the mo. I'm also learning Hungarian so at least this time around I can see what the mother-in-law has been saying about me. She doesn't know I'm learning it either. Heh heh...

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    I can't stop until master tells me so:

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    If you remember to.........

Originally posted by xoggoth
    Look here. I ticked the wrong box and there's no change vote thing. This is blatant discrimination against the senile. I shall sue.
    come along xog, isn't it time for your cocoa?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Look here. I ticked the wrong box and there's no change vote thing. This is blatant discrimination against the senile. I shall sue.

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    I can't be bovvered!

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Vote for it then!

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    I’m the “As little as possible, because I’m getting the boot at the end of Jan so need to cream as much as possible”.

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    started a poll Christmas Time Off

Christmas Time Off

As little as possible, I'm a tight arsed scrooge
    27.59%
    As little as possible, I earn loads but can't manage it and need more
    17.24%
    As much as possible, I don't care about the money, I want time with my family
    24.14%
    As much as possible, I'm loaded, its a good excuse for a break
    31.03%

The poll is expired.

So, what type of contractor are you?

Working...
X