• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Security Clearance question"

Collapse

• Marcus
    replied
    Thanks for all the help. I have no intention of lying on the SC forms.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Don't lie on the SC forms though.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    I think you're missing my point. My point is this role is not even on my cv its hidden as such so the employer doesnt even know of it. So I got the chance without letting them know. So my concern was they then see in this SC form.

And you mention bringing it up in a meeting, I wouldnt have one would I? I thought its just a form then send off and have a decision and if any questions then maybe a meeting?
    I've just been through this. In my case, the hiring manager saw my CV, with one small gap - a contract I can't be bothered to include as I was only there about three weeks before leaving.

Another team within clientco dealt with the SC, during which I detailed ALL contracts from the last 'x' years.

The hiring manager would not have had sight of my SC details.

The fact that you were fired from one of the positions is, as another poster said - probably irrelevant. State the dates you worked there on the SC forms, and they will validate that with the employer/agency. As police weren't involved, I doubt it will actually be an issue for your SC clearance, and the hiring manager therefore won't find out there is a discrepancy on your CV.

Don't be tempted to lie on the SC forms though.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    I think you're missing my point. My point is this role is not even on my cv its hidden as such so the employer doesnt even know of it. So I got the chance without letting them know. So my concern was they then see in this SC form.

And you mention bringing it up in a meeting, I wouldnt have one would I? I thought its just a form then send off and have a decision and if any questions then maybe a meeting?

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    I should not worry about any CV form miss-match.
    I detailed everything on the form for the last 10 years and gave a copy of my normal CV with gaps and things all over the place. All of my roles would not fit onto the CV anyway. Don't worry about it. The form is the important part and not the CV.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    No assault or anything like that, was accused of altering a letter from employer because they spelt my name wrong and I had no time to get it changed officially. Was told I took hit home when I hadnt after considering what might happen but the accuser worked there much longer than me and I had only been there like 3 months.

This however looks very bad so I am concerned. My biggest concern however is that my potential employer sees a cv without the job then sees it written on a security check, which is why I asked if the employer would see it.
    It is very unusual to put a 'reason for leaving' on a CV. So why bother? For something like this, that smacks a little of fraud, I would be proactive with the clearance officer and bring it up in the interview, give the full story. It is better you bring it up yourself rather than miss a cue to say something about it, and then fail.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    No assault or anything like that, was accused of altering a letter from employer because they spelt my name wrong and I had no time to get it changed officially. Was told I took hit home when I hadnt after considering what might happen but the accuser worked there much longer than me and I had only been there like 3 months.

This however looks very bad so I am concerned. My biggest concern however is that my potential employer sees a cv without the job then sees it written on a security check, which is why I asked if the employer would see it.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    No MP would pass these.
    That's where people go wrong.

There was one who was well into the horses, actually worked as a tipster, had extra-marital affairs... Not only were they cleared but actually put in charge.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Security Check (SC) or (SC Cleared) is required for people who have substantial access to SECRET or occasional controlled access to TOP SECRET assets. The following security vetting stages comprise a full SC clearance:

* Baseline Personnel Security Standard (Which is normally undertaken as part of the recruiting process)
    * Departmental / Company Records Check
    * Security Questionnaire
    * Criminal Record Check
    * Credit Reference Check
    * Security Service Check

On completion of the vetting process, the information collected is assessed and a decision made to refuse or approve a SC clearance.
    No MP would pass these.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    In keeping with the General meme, pray do tell what you got fired for. You say misconduct...

Salacious details if at all possible.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    DV has a separate financial questionnaire, you don't need to provide any info on the SC form.
    ... unless they don't like the credit check in which case you get the financial questionnaire (and that's another delay before the gig starts).
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 4 February 2010, 07:21.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Write the truth on the forms, and give as much detail as appropriate. If there is information you do not wish your employer to see you can put it in an envelope.

We have heard here that at least one agency had/has a scam going with the forms where they have you return the forms to them, not clearance, and, envelope or not, they read them. They then went on to discuss the contents around the office, over insecure phone lines, in emails and edited them. Yes they were reported to the appropriate authorities for this, who were most interested.

Yet the point is: why would you want to keep your employment history confidential? What would happen if a challenge occurred? Example: bad guy tries to blackmail you, i.e. tell us what you do or we'll tell your employer you were fired from a previous company...

That is what they're looking for in all this stuff after all, are you open to tell people secrets inappropriately?

So, be completely honest and open. Don't hide anything. You will not shock the clearance officer. They almost certainly know already, and just want to see that you are cool with it all.

Remember they want people from all sections of society; many people are initially surprised at the types of people they meet even with the highest levels of clearance.
    What Chubs Said

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Hey, I found this forum through doing some research into getting an SC for a new job and have a question im hoping someone can answer for me.

Although I have concerns about my SC because of my debt history im more concerned that on my CV I didnt included a job which I was fired from (gross misconduct). This job was about 3 years ago, after this I was in a job for 2 and half years. Now obviously I will have to declare it in the SC if I decide to go ahead however im more concerned that the potential employer will see the forms? So the question is, will my potential employer get copies of these forms to see because obviously if this is the case there is no point me going forward?

Cheers
    Write the truth on the forms, and give as much detail as appropriate. If there is information you do not wish your employer to see you can put it in an envelope.

We have heard here that at least one agency had/has a scam going with the forms where they have you return the forms to them, not clearance, and, envelope or not, they read them. They then went on to discuss the contents around the office, over insecure phone lines, in emails and edited them. Yes they were reported to the appropriate authorities for this, who were most interested.

Yet the point is: why would you want to keep your employment history confidential? What would happen if a challenge occurred? Example: bad guy tries to blackmail you, i.e. tell us what you do or we'll tell your employer you were fired from a previous company...

That is what they're looking for in all this stuff after all, are you open to tell people secrets inappropriately?

So, be completely honest and open. Don't hide anything. You will not shock the clearance officer. They almost certainly know already, and just want to see that you are cool with it all.

Remember they want people from all sections of society; many people are initially surprised at the types of people they meet even with the highest levels of clearance.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Edit your's please... I'll put some nuts out for the squirrels.
    Make it shelled wall nuts...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Are you even allowed to say that?
    Edit your's please... I'll put some nuts out for the squirrels.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X