• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why I wont vote Tory"

Collapse

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Looking at Far East, while I'm still working
    Maybe somewhere like Greece for retirement.
    Wait until the drachma's devalued a couple of times before moving any money there.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    If Thai ladyboys are your cup of tea then fine.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Emigrate to where exactly? Greece? property will be cheap at least.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I keep saying - the cake is too small.
    In another generation we'll be like Greece or Spain except without the family support that those countries have.
    It all started with Thatcher who declared society dead, the individual and the free market supreme. Her intellectual heirs who included such unlikely bed-fellows as the Republican party and Blair and Brown's New Labour took that philosophy to its logical extreme, hence an economic collapse born of greed and hubris.
    When this country learns that in the modern world there needs to be some form of consensus between the different stakeholders in society (what traditional Tories used to call one-nation conservatism) then there will be no hope.
    Until that time, emigration seems to me the only option left if you want to avoid the dreary economic years ahead.
    Emigrate to where exactly? Greece? property will be cheap at least.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Sorry chaps, I posted that under wrong login.
    No one believes you have the intellect to have made that post.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    It's the "Vote Green - nobody get's hurt" thing I object to.

The Green party is a front for extreme Marxists.
    Ah. In that case perhaps leave them be. I thought it was a front for harmless lentil eating sandal wearing freaks who nobody takes seriously.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    In another generation we'll be like Greece or Spain except without the family support that those countries have.
    It all started with Thatcher who declared society dead, the individual and the free market supreme. Her intellectual heirs who included such unlikely bed-fellows as the Republican party and Blair and Brown's New Labour took that philosophy to its logical extreme, hence an economic collapse born of greed and hubris.
    When this country learns that in the modern world there needs to be some form of consensus between the different stakeholders in society (what traditional Tories used to call one-nation conservatism) then there will be hope.
    Until that time, emigration seems to me the only option left if you want to avoid the dreary economic years ahead.
    Sorry chaps, I posted that under wrong login.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Well, the only answer for you is to hide in a cave and feel sorry for yourself, or just whinge for the rest of your life, or move abroad to somewhere more to your taste.

If voting is so hopeless, I'd be interested to know what people here want from a political system. How would you organise it?
    As long as you have a population of human beings choosing a "leader" from a pool of human beings whose only qualifications are a desire to be chosen and a willingness to do what it takes to get there you will have a sorry mess.

Personally I would prefer an educated and capable governing caste, aware that they are doing an important job for the benefit of everyone and employing evidence based policy to please most of the people most of the time and occasionally giving them what they need instead of what they want.

At a pinch, I would accept that those who run for office should be able to spell, do simple sums in their head, accept the laws of physics cannot be modified willy nilly, and tell right from wrong.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    When this country learns that in the modern world there needs to be some form of consensus between the different stakeholders in society (what traditional Tories used to call one-nation conservatism) then there will be no hope.
    Last edited by sasguru; 4 February 2010, 11:38.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    It's the "Vote Green - nobody get's hurt" thing I object to.

The Green party is a front for extreme Marxists.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It is simple, Dodgy. If you think the current party has done OK, vote for them to carry on for another five years.

Have they managed the government well? Is high unemployment and high taxation now a distant memory?

Alternatively, remember that a protest vote against all the main parties is in most cases a vote for the current government, so feel free to do that instead.
    You are not exactly uplifting are you?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    There is no hope.
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I think this always has been and will remain the case whomever you vote for.
    Well, the only answer for you is to hide in a cave and feel sorry for yourself, or just whinge for the rest of your life, or move abroad to somewhere more to your taste.

If voting is so hopeless, I'd be interested to know what people here want from a political system. How would you organise it?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

There is no hope.
    I think this always has been and will remain the case whomever you vote for.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Why I wont vote Tory
    It is simple, Dodgy. If you think the current party has done OK, vote for them to carry on for another five years.

Have they managed the government well? Is high unemployment and high taxation now a distant memory?

Alternatively, remember that a protest vote against all the main parties is in most cases a vote for the current government, so feel free to do that instead.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Vote green. At least no one will get hurt.
    FFS.

There is no hope.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X