• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Funds flee Greece as Germany warns of "fatal" eurozone crisis"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If we want to get hold of a German or French company we will simply march in and help ourselves.
    I think you confused a century or two...

As for Birmingham it hasnt been devastated enough as far as I am concerned.
    So you approve of my location then?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    My EUR/GBP (long) trade is up 54 pips so far today

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Cretin.

Moron.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Cretin.
    Wikipedia

Cretinism arises from a diet deficient in iodine. It has affected many people worldwide and continues to be a major public health problem in many countries.

Iodine deficiency world map.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Mobiles are indeed swapped every 2 years, just like many IT products due to development of technology.

Washing mashines and cars last longer, but since they are also technology driven it is good thing that manufacturers don't stop where they were.

That's true. But unlike you I don't make mistake of thinking that just because we've got money all is rosy, it's not - Birmingham was hit very hard by this and other recessions and pretty much devastated. That's not good considering its history and part it played in world industrial revolution.

Do you see British companies buying German ones there? At best what happens is the other way around and at worst British companies go bust.

Like saying having ability to build your own nuclear reactors (like French have) would have been more than nice considering the amounts of money that would need to be paid. And all sort of other things.
    If we want to get hold of a German or French company we will simply march in and help ourselves. As for Birmingham it hasnt been devastated enough as far as I am concerned.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    WHS.

Cretin.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    WHS.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    Although if it's made in Germany then you won't need a new one so often.
    Have not checked it but my rough guess would be that there are less recruiters/agent in Germany as well.

That's because in a well run economy where people don't get fired left right and center you won't need a new one so often.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post

<Nods as a proud owner of 5 year-old Bosch>

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    You really do have a bit of a cheek banging on about "making things" as opposed to "not" (financial and other services). Manufacturing includes mostly unnecessary consumer goods that are bought by the people who you sneer at for "borrowing money". What this recession will also teach us is that most of manufacturing is unnecessary (who really needs to upgrade their mobile fone or washing machine or car every two years?

Your own business is hardly a paragon of manufacturing virtue and yet people are pouring money into it. If Germany is such a virtuous country why don't you move there and take your non manufacturing (i.e useless) business with you?
    I don't think it's a moral case in favour of manufacturing, just an economic one. In this context, it doesn't matter whether people need a new Bosch washing machine every 2 years, but whether they buy them. If they do, then the manufacturing economy will make them.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Large parts of the Euro are effectively bankrupt: Greece, Portugal and Spain.
    Large part of GBP zone is effectively bankrupt: UK.

I don't see surging pound in current situation - it's between EUR and USD, the pound is irrelevant in this configuration.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What this recession will also teach us is that most of manufacturing is unnecessary (who really needs to upgrade their mobile fone or washing machine or car every two years?
    Mobiles are indeed swapped every 2 years, just like many IT products due to development of technology.

Washing mashines and cars last longer, but since they are also technology driven it is good thing that manufacturers don't stop where they were.

Your own business is hardly a paragon of manufacturing virtue and yet people are pouring money into it.
    That's true. But unlike you I don't make mistake of thinking that just because we've got money all is rosy, it's not - Birmingham was hit very hard by this and other recessions and pretty much devastated. That's not good considering its history and part it played in world industrial revolution.

Do you see British companies buying German ones there? At best what happens is the other way around and at worst British companies go bust.

Like saying having ability to build your own nuclear reactors (like French have) would have been more than nice considering the amounts of money that would need to be paid. And all sort of other things.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You really do have a bit of a cheek banging on about "making things" as opposed to "not" (financial and other services). Manufacturing includes mostly unnecessary consumer goods that are bought by the people who you sneer at for "borrowing money". What this recession will also teach us is that most of manufacturing is unnecessary (who really needs to upgrade their mobile fone or washing machine or car every two years?

Your own business is hardly a paragon of manufacturing virtue and yet people are pouring money into it. If Germany is such a virtuous country why don't you move there and take your non manufacturing (i.e useless) business with you?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Not all countries - they still create a lot of real things in Germany that are bought all around the world. Their banks may have gotten into leveraged junk, but the country as a whole is sound and solvent. On the other hand the UK destroyed it's industry and started getting disproportinate amount of revenues from speculative hot air.

Short term investors who can easily bail out shouldn't be welcome in the first place - that's where tax system should do its role and penalise short term gains, especially if they come from creating flip all.

Thing is, when the last Premiership Football club is sold to yet another foreigners, what's will be left in the UK desireable to buy? It's symptomatic that this last desireable asset is based on tulipe economic model with ridiculous out of control salaries of primadonna players who can bugger off to another country very quickly if they don't get their huge chunk of the money.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Large parts of the Euro are effectively bankrupt: Greece, Portugal and Spain.
    They are at depression levels and because they are trapped in the Euro all they can do is add to the pain by further retrenchment. Keynesian stimulus (which the lessons from the 30s tells us is what they need) is not an option.

The UK has far more leeway as we can set our own interest rates and economic policy.

HTH
    er, umm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X