• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sky HD

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sky HD"

Collapse

• voodooflux
    replied
    Sky launches 1TB Sky+HD box
    Bigger box in preparation for VOD and 3DTV services

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3111...-1tb-skyhd-box

Sky has announced the launch of a new Sky+HD box which can store up to 240 hours of high definition television with its 1TB capacity.

The new Sky+HD 1TB goes on sale from today at a price of £249 and as well as the larger capacity offers access to Sky's 37 HD channels, the new HD Sky Guide, Sky+ and Sky Anytime.

"We want to offer people as much choice as possible. We know customers are happy with the storage on our standard box, but the Sky+HD 1TB will appeal to people who want to watch and store even more HD TV", says Hilary Perchard, Sky's director of product management and marketing.

The Sky+HD 1TB box is available with a Sky+HD subscription which is from £10 per month with installation costing £30 for new customers and £60 for existing customers.

The box will also work with Sky's coming-soon video on demand options and 3DTV services (although a 3DTV will also be required).

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I bought the HD box on ebay for about 70 quid, I am going to fit a 2tb disk into it to give about 900 hours recording.

Had to sign up for 12 month despite being on a monthly TV deal. Feckin Bobs in the call centre as well.

58 quid a month and they ain't getting anymore out of me, have a freestat card for the other rooms.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    OK so if I've got a Sky dish but want to buy a Humax for another room, can I use the Sky dish to connect up to the Humax box?
    I think you'd need to make sure you had a quad lnb (dish widget) - Sky+ takes 2 IIRC, so you'd have 2 spare.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Spoke to them recently and if you have Sky (but not HD) then they'll sell you the HD box for £49 and £30 installation. Monthly costs are £10 extra for HD and £10 if you want multiroom.

That would take my monthly costs up to £80... no fing way man.
    We've already got Sky HD so the second box would be £200 for us, plus installation, plus £10 for multiroom and another £10 for the HD multiroom option.

As you say, the monthly cost is then taking the piss.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    OK so if I've got a Sky dish but want to buy a Humax for another room, can I use the Sky dish to connect up to the Humax box?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Do you get a reasonable number of HD channels to view for free on the Humax?

Would it simply plug into an exist Sky cable that runs from the dish?
    Yes, and there's about 200 channels, mostly crap as per Sky anyway. One think I have noticed tho is when on Sky and channel hopping, it's a 90% certainty u land on a channel showing a advert, rarely happens on Freesat. I think we forget that not only do Sky sting you on a monthly basis, they pad out a 30 minute show to about 50 with the difference being ads....

@Moscow Mule (Moskvichskaya Zhopa? - sounds like an insult - sorry if it is!) - well needs ethernet, but u press the red button on BBC page, and input a code which I cant remember now, I kind of think the request goes via internet, the proggie comes down the satellite. I haven't actually tried it! It's on the Freesat website tho. Logistically it's a nightmare plugging the Humax into the ethernet here....

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm beginning to come around to your way of thinking.

Considering the limited number of programmes that I watch on his service.

Currently, it's 24.

That's 24 the programme, not 24 programmes.

Even NCIS is showing repeats on FX again.

Where's Fringe?

Where's Lost?

Where's Bones?

Where's Lie to Me?

Where's NCIS LA?

Screw HD. I'm not getting my money's worth out of SD.
    If that's all you watch, you can buy (most of) those shows from iTunes for the cost of < 1 months sub to Sky HD

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Be very interested to know of any deals for multi-room HD. They seem to want £200 and a sacrificial lamb for the second HD box, your first born in return for installation, and then £20 plus a pint of blood per month.
    Spoke to them recently and if you have Sky (but not HD) then they'll sell you the HD box for £49 and £30 installation. Monthly costs are £10 extra for HD and £10 if you want multiroom.

That would take my monthly costs up to £80... no fing way man.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Had Sky HD, got rid as the cost was mounting up and during bench time, costs have to cut. Plus it was a rip off, with multiroom something like £70 a month.

So I ditched it, got a Humax Foxsat HD PVR on Freesat+ and never looked back. Apart from cost of box monthly costs are zero, and it even has iPlayer on it now after last firmware.
    Do you get a reasonable number of HD channels to view for free on the Humax?

Would it simply plug into an exist Sky cable that runs from the dish?

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    Done some shopping around aleady and there are plenty of deals, free box, free installation etc...
    Be very interested to know of any deals for multi-room HD. They seem to want £200 and a sacrificial lamb for the second HD box, your first born in return for installation, and then £20 plus a pint of blood per month.

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Yeah, and multi-room HD is an extra £20/month
    Done some shopping around aleady and there are plenty of deals, free box, free installation etc...

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Are the barstewards still charging an extra 10 quid a month for the privilege of HD?
    Yeah, and multi-room HD is an extra £20/month

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Makes for intesting reading, look like they might've ironed out most of the bugs/issues, might look into getting this...

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Are the barstewards still charging an extra 10 quid a month for the privilege of HD?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    and it even has iPlayer on it now after last firmware.
    How does that work? Does it come from the satellite, or does it need to be connected to the internet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X