• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recession over (probably)"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Bet on a March election.

The figures for Q1 2010 should be worse, as the effects of QE, VAT cut and car stimulus disappear.

The Q1 2010 figures will come out in three months. If Labour left the election until the last moment, in May, we'd go back into recession in the middle of their election campaign.
    Take a peek at linky

"The Q4 GDP figures are a major blow to hopes that the UK economy had emerged decisively from recession in Q4," said analyst Jonathan Loynes at Capital Economics.

"No doubt some commentators will claim that the figures are under-estimating the true strength of the recovery and will be revised up in time.

"That is certainly possible. But it won't change the big picture of an economy still operating way below both its pre-recession and trend levels of output."
    Get ready for the cabaret, lights, glamour of the election.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Bet on a March election.

The figures for Q1 2010 should be worse, as the effects of QE, VAT cut and car stimulus disappear.

The Q1 2010 figures will come out in three months. If Labour left the election until the last moment, in May, we'd go back into recession in the middle of their election campaign.
    Gordon the bottler? Err, no thanks. He's going to drag it out as long as he can. A leopard cannot change its spots.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    The mash has explained it fairly succinctly:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/b...-201001262413/

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That's the beauty - definition of recession requires 2 consecutive quarters of reduced GDP, so technically (unless this number is revised - I think it may go upwards a bit) Britain won't be officially again in recession until after June at the earliest.
    Fair point AtW. Technically I should have said back to negative growth (now you come to mention it, is it only two quarters?)

If July does indicate we are back in recession, the first quarter will be posthumously included in the period of recession. It's just that we won't know until July, after the election.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    we'd go back into recession in the middle of their election campaign.
    That's the beauty - definition of recession requires 2 consecutive quarters of reduced GDP, so technically (unless this number is revised - I think it may go upwards a bit) Britain won't be officially again in recession until after June at the earliest.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Bet on a March election.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The currency markets don't seem particularly enamoured with Sterling subsequent to the ONS release.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Have you seen the weather on 31st? I have not seen many cars on the road apart from mine
    I'm referring to the whole quarter up to and including the 31st.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Could this have had something to do with everyone spending before 31-Dec when VAT went back up and the car discounts dried up?
    Have you seen the weather on 31st? I have not seen many cars on the road apart from mine

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Could this have had something to do with everyone spending before 31-Dec when VAT went back up and the car discounts dried up?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    "Britain expected to exit worst recession in decades"
    "Britain expected to exit worst recession, in decades"

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Suitable quote about this...

"Facts are stubborn things but statistics are more pliable"

Laurence Peter, author of the Peter Principle

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    "Britain expected to exit worst recession in decades"
    "Britain expected to exit worst recession, in decades"

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    7000 fall in unemployment, economy grows 0.1% ...both figures are only just on the positive side, I call shenanigans!!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    How likely is it that that figure will be revised later?
    100% - they alway are because the figures released are based on incomplete data. If you asking if it will be revised lower, I think so. However, previous figures were revised up from -0.3% to -0.2%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X