• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Whilst in the Gym

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whilst in the Gym"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh and Chopin was Polish. Or something. Died of consumption. Let that be a lesson to anyone thinking of living in France.

PS I do not believe those tits. They do not gel with the skinny knees. You never get big tits with skinny knees. It is a universal law.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 17 December 2005, 23:41.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I can, he elected King of Poland, but didn't like it: had to be nice to too many people and was not allowed to murder large numbers of his subjects without permission, so went back to France and became King there instead.

... and did you know he was also a transvestite ...
    One of your lot then, eh Threaded? Or is it still "Joanne" on Fridays?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    France and Poland have always had much better ties than France and UK - I think one of the French Kings was King of Poland, can't mind his name.
    I think he was called Adolf Hitler

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    France and Poland have always had much better ties than France and UK - I think one of the French Kings was King of Poland, can't mind his name.
    I can, he elected King of Poland, but didn't like it: had to be nice to too many people and was not allowed to murder large numbers of his subjects without permission, so went back to France and became King there instead.

... and did you know he was also a transvestite ...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    £2 Billion is an awful lot of money. Just think we could build 20 millenium domes for that.
    Actually, I think we only need one more dome, slap bang next to the existing one.

Then the makers of Wonderbra could make a giant Union Jack bra out of two air ballons and we could have a new Olypmic Logo to greet the athletes as they flew in to London.

London would then of course be the greatest Titty on the Earth.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    £2 Billion is an awful lot of money. Just think we could build 20 millenium domes for that.
    or a 1/3 of a medical database.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by XLMonkey
    Now, I do agree with you but....

given the choice between watching women in swimsuits and calculating the net outflow of cash from Britain to Poland in my head.....

DA, you are getting old old old before your time.
    The pool started to get taken over by a few fat women and blokes, so my mind began to wander, and yes I was on the running machine for a long time. Tomorrow I hope to be able to switch it on.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    I heard on the radio yesterday that in fact the UK has always paid more than France, even including the rebate.
    This is true, and Rebecca is being a little misleading in saying that no-one else receives a rebate. It is true that France does not get a "rebate", but it does get a huge whack out of the budget, because their farming just naturally attracts lots of subsidies.

On the other hand, we shouldn't complain really, because that's what the (originally Common Market) budget was designed to do - give lots of money to France.

Originally it was supposed to take that money from Germany, but the UK just happens to fall on the wrong side of the rules, i.e. small efficient agriculture and lots of international trade, so in the basic non-rebate system it gets whacked for French peasants too.

Of course the French translation of that is that the UK has a small agricultural sector that doesn't need budget money; and the UK will insist on trading outside the EU so it must expect to pay for that.

The more private French translation is, if you insist on buying lamb from New Zealand instead of from French farmers, the French farmers still need paid, so you're still going to pay them. Tant pis!

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    But there's something you're missing Rebecca

The bottom line is that few people are convinced that the EU is useful to anyone, let alone the UK.
    Do you have the figures for who pays what?
    I heard on the radio yesterday (so it must be true!!!!) that in fact the UK has always paid more than France, even including the rebate. If this is the case, then the French have got a ******* cheek whining about how much we pay. (That would of course be typically French behaviour, the arrogant, smelly, cheese-scoffing little tulips, we should have let Hitler cleanse Europe before taking up arms against him!)

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    Dodgy,

Your email betrays a lack of knowledge of Polish affairs

First, there is a history of friendship between the Poles and the French, with lots of Polish immigrants in France - not a recent wave like in the UK, but one that dates before WW2. So it is not hugely surprising they side together despite France closing its frontiers to Poles (much like the rest of Europe apart from the UK)

2nd, why is everyone in the UK hung up about this rebate? I know the British press has always tried to connect it with the huge farm subsidies that the Frogs receive, but in fact it's not - people pay into a budget and then what's done with this budget is voted and approved by the commission. Oh and also don't forget Britain receives lots of farm subsidies too, something the UK press - oddly - never mentions.
    That rebate was a very clever piece of work by Mrs Thatcher, but is not really fair - no other country receives a rebate -not even those Frogs.

The whole thing is dodgy anyway, and works a bit like GB's tax credits: pay first, and then get some of your money back later. Uh? Great bit of bureaucracy but it doesn't really make sense, why don't you pay less to start with?

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Now, I do agree with you but....

given the choice between watching women in swimsuits and calculating the net outflow of cash from Britain to Poland in my head.....

DA, you are getting old old old before your time.

Leave a comment:

• Daywalker
    replied
    How long did you run for??

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Now the Poles have a bit of a cheek I reckon.
    Don't worry. If it is found out that Poland has been helping the CIA with their flights and secret prison camps then they're suspended from the EU.

Article here

Leave a comment:

Working...
X