• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Urban Myths

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Urban Myths"

Collapse

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    My girlfriend's step sister is a student at the moment & the other day she was telling me that the Student Union will not
    allow, under any circumstances, the broadcast of any song by Shabba Ranks on their premises due to some homophobic remark he
    made on The Word about 20 years ago. She's absolutely adamant about this but ISTR several variations of the same story doing the rounds over the years so I'm guessing it's utter bollocks; at least I hope it is
    otherwise I'll be parking up outside Bath Uni with my windows down with Mr Loverman blaring out at full volume.
    It is on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVvXTNZKPSU

At the end of a long piece about another rapper and their homophobic raps.

I would be interested to know whether the same issues apply now - twenty years later - which I doubt.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Ah yes Handsworth.... only went there a few times.

Don't remember Pagoda Park..... Remember Samantha's (Student Night Thursday).....

Remember "real" Baltis... down the Ladypool Road......

What era were you? I was late 70's early 80's
    Mid to late 80's. Real baltis - yes, we suspected it was sparrows as they had enough of them flying around like bats in the evening. We used to go around the Digbeth area which was nearby I think.

Voodooflux - I went there about 10 years after graduating and the Bull Ring had gone and everything looked totally different - some areas had smartened up considerably IIRC...

The Bull Ring market - where you could buy a horse steak for under a pound and laugh at the butcher's display of "dog bits" - pig's penises for your pet.

And "Bee uuurr eym beee" ray-dioww

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Where the iron heart of England throbs beneath its sombre robe
    Stands a school whose sons have made her great and famous round the globe
    They have plucked the bays of battle
    They have won the scholars' crown
    Old Edwardians! Young Edwardians! Forward for the school's reknown

Chorus
    Forward where the knocks are hardest
    Some to failure, some to fame
    Never mind the cheers or hooting
    Keep your head and play the game

Here's no place for fop or idler. Those who made our city great
    Feared no hardship, shirked no labour, smiled at death and conquered fate
    Those who gave our school its laurels
    Laid on us a sacred trust
    Forward therefore live your hardest, die of service, not of rust

Chorus

Forward where the scrimmage thickens, never stop to rub your shin
    Cowards count the kicks and ha'pence, only care to save their skin
    Oftentimes defeat is splendid
    Victory may still be shame
    Luck if good, the prize is pleasant, but the glory's in the game

Chorus

Here no shaded grove secludes us, here abides no cloistered calm
    Not the titled nor the stranger wrestle here to gain the palm
    Round our smoke-encrusted precints
    Labour's turbid river runs
    Builders of this burly city, temper here their strenuous sons!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Aye, it's been transformed around there over the last few years (since the Bull Ring redevelopment). I'm still getting used to the new road system...
    Ahhhhhh the Bull Ring......... I used to frequent the indoor market..... Pork Scratchings by the 1lb....... about 20p

Belly Pork by the ton... about a quid.....

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I know which uni you went to!

Knocking down the campus towers now I believe...
    Aye, it's been transformed around there over the last few years (since the Bull Ring redevelopment). I'm still getting used to the new road system...

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    I was in Handsworth in the student campus there - stayed in one of the houses then the block of flats. Can't remember the names. A long time ago...

Pagoda Park was some nightclub I can remember in Brum centre... do remember a pint of mild costing 70p! Ah, student days!
    Ah yes Handsworth.... only went there a few times.

Don't remember Pagoda Park..... Remember Samantha's (Student Night Thursday).....

Remember "real" Baltis... down the Ladypool Road......

What era were you? I was late 70's early 80's

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Haven’t you got one of those apps the spooks use? You know the one that miraculously fills in pixels that aren’t there revealing a hi-def picture.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I was in Handsworth in the student campus there - stayed in one of the houses then the block of flats. Can't remember the names. A long time ago...

Pagoda Park was some nightclub I can remember in Brum centre... do remember a pint of mild costing 70p! Ah, student days!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied

If they gave the world an enema the tube would be shoved into the middle of Brum.... and would scrape off Aston.

I didn't live in the 'kin 'orrible Towers...... I lived just off the town centre right next to one of the ring-road underpasses...... St Chads possibly???

Next to the Royal Oak... 50 yds from the Gaiety (sic).... 100yds behind the Grand(?) Hotel in Cathederal Square....

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Ours was the VD Centre

........ Thats Vauxhall Dining ...... honest!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    I don't know, Mr Marleys "No Woman No Cry" seems to me to positively extol the virtues of man love. Wouldn't you say???
    No. Translated out of de Jamaican it is something like "No, woman: don't cry!" and is a hymn to the virtues of pulling yourself together and looking on the bright side.

I can remember that Shabba Ranks interview (with Mark Lamarr I think).

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    .. (beaten to it)

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Neloffspringofeithergender Peroffspringofeithergenderdela
    Neloffspringofeither(orhim)gender Peroffspringofeither(orhim)genderdela

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Who on earth is Shabba Ranks? Anyway, whatever anyone at Bath Uni says must be sensible.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    Oh, the fun we had twenty years ago arguing about whether the bread roll and cheese on a plate snack in the student union canteen should be called a ploughpersons lunch.

It was so much fun.
    Ours was the VD Centre

........ Thats Vauxhall Dining ...... honest!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X