• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear - The 'hidden' jobless"

Collapse

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    BofE does not invest into sterling - it prints them.

Now whoever accepts that printed paper in exchange for goods and/or services actually invests into sterling.

HTH
    Quantitative Easing is doing exactly that. Well, in effect.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Well you say that, yet the pound seems to be appreciating in value, if anything. You would have thought the shrewd currency speculators would have already pushed the pound down to nothing?
    I reckon there's a big oil-field about to be discovered under Wiltshire...
    Or may be oil in the Falklands Islands?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    It last happened 2000. But:

"Delivering his 2000 Budget speech, Mr Brown made clear that money spent on debt and welfare was money lost to the public services. He said: "Our promise was to reduce the costs of failure - the bills for unemployment and debt interest - in order to reallocate money to the key public services.""

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    "Benefit payouts will exceed income tax revenue

The state will pay out more in social security benefits than it raises from workers in income tax this year.

Treasury figures show that welfare payments will exceed income tax receipts by almost £25 billion. Normally, income tax receipts comfortably cover the benefits bill.
    "

How often has this ever happened before in the UK?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Oh. tulip.

Benefit payouts will exceed income tax revenue

The state will pay out more in social security benefits than it raises from workers in income tax this year.

Treasury figures show that welfare payments will exceed income tax receipts by almost £25 billion. Normally, income tax receipts comfortably cover the benefits bill.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    Who is investing in Sterling? The BofE. I.e. us. And ISTR that stops next month.
    BofE does not invest into sterling - it prints them.

Now whoever accepts that printed paper in exchange for goods and/or services actually invests into sterling.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Emigre
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Linky?
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/glance/#labour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...x-revenue.html

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Who is investing in Sterling, apart from the UK taxers payer's children's grandchildren and today's savers? If it's people who know what they are doing, why isn't the future doomed price built in to today's price? Perhaps investors don't care about long-term and speculate short term, or maybe they haven't got a clue what's going on either?
    Who is investing in Sterling? The BofE. I.e. us. And ISTR that stops next month.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    When the truth sinks in, it's sterling.
    Who is investing in Sterling, apart from the UK taxers payer's children's grandchildren and today's savers? If it's people who know what they are doing, why isn't the future doomed price built in to today's price? Perhaps investors don't care about long-term and speculate short term, or maybe they haven't got a clue what's going on either?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Well you say that, yet the pound seems to be appreciating in value, if anything. You would have thought the shrewd currency speculators would have already pushed the pound down to nothing?
    That's because unemployment is falling and the UK is best placed in the world for the recovery, blah.

When the truth sinks in, it's sterling.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Linky?
    Sminki

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Hey, I'm economically inactive! I thought Iwas retired.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Emigre View Post
    So that's 12.5m on state pension, 8m unknown unknowns, a total of 6m on unemployment/jobseekers/incapacity benefit, 6m employed by the state any others?

I saw that 22m pay income tax and 25m claim benefits and that since June last year income tax doesn't cover even the benefits bill - and its got worse since then.
    Linky?

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    How long can this state of affairs last?

How long before investors realise buying UK government debt is madness?

How long before the collapse of sterling?

Not long.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Emigre View Post
    So that's 12.5m on state pension, 8m unknown unknowns, a total of 6m on unemployment/jobseekers/incapacity benefit, 6m employed by the state any others?

I saw that 22m pay income tax and 25m claim benefits and that since June last year income tax doesn't cover even the benefits bill - and its got worse since then.
    How long can this state of affairs last?

How long before investors realise buying UK government debt is madness?

How long before the collapse of sterling?

Not long.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X