• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Get ready for the fun to begin"

Collapse

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Hyper-Inflation anyone?

You know when the banks are offering low cost variable rate deals that you really should fix...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8470302.stm

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    dividends
    income

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Obviously you have to hope your salary increases
    dividends

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    well if you have high inflation and low interest you want debt, but if they stick the interest rates way up you wanna be a saver.
    Agreed: but interest rates are glued to inflation these days. There is no long term benefit to debt.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    well if you have high inflation and low interest you want debt, but if they stick the interest rates way up you wanna be a saver.

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    yup you need a who huge stonking great mortgage.....three priorities

1. debt
    2. debt
    3. and more debt
    I was trying to suggest that if one has money and a mortgage then ummmmm, pay it off.....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    yup you need a who huge stonking great mortgage.....three priorities

1. debt
    2. debt
    3. and more debt

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    It's a temporary blip. The Jan 1st VAT increase and total lack of demand after Xmas will mean it's soon falling again.

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Say you have a £100K mortgage: In times of high inflation you could expect that to become seriously devalued in real terms making it significantly easier to pay off early. Obviously you have to hope your salary increases and interest rates aren't too bad but 5 years of 10% inflation effectively halves your mortgage for you. Sort of.
    I see you argument, I am just not sure how much reality is being added to it...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    My dad's first mortgage was for £1,600 in 1960. If he were alive today he'd be turning in his grave.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    Explain??
    Say you have a £100K mortgage: In times of high inflation you could expect that to become seriously devalued in real terms making it significantly easier to pay off early. Obviously you have to hope your salary increases and interest rates aren't too bad but 5 years of 10% inflation effectively halves your mortgage for you. Sort of.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Berlin property. A little birdy tells me that Berlin is preparing a low tax regime to lure financial firms there
    Berlin’s broke and full of brainy people. In the 1970s New York was broke and full of brainy people. For once you might be right.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Berlin property. A little birdy tells me that Berlin is preparing a low tax regime to lure financial firms there

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Have you got a mortgage??????
    I've got one. An old fashioned repayment mortgage with interest fixed for 20 years. Inflation? Bring it on!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Have you got a mortgage??????
    Nope, renting now. My entire meagre wealth is currently sitting in a bank earning -2.9% interests, at most

Handy that the inflation figure came in at 2.9% isn't it, just below the threshold where stuff has to be done. It might approach 2.99999% next month.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X