• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Home-made soup

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home-made soup"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    and you haven't been banned! (close run thing tho' eh? )
    Yeah it was! Very silly, mind you I was in a great mood and for some inexplicable reason, the mind altering Pastis was open.

I shall have to honour my maxim of: Don't post while pastised.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Hey - I bust the 3,000 post mark - woohoo!
    and you haven't been banned! (close run thing tho' eh? )

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Hey - I bust the 3,000 post mark - woohoo!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
    Full Marx!!

Took me a while to get that!

Good tip - thanks.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Mmm. Creamy gingery beetroot

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Soup-er. IGMC.

15 super seasonal soup recipes.

Leave a comment:

• Halcyon
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    After making homemade crispy fried Chinese duck, pancakes and plum sauce last week, I used the leftover duck bones and meat in a soup.

Boiled the bones to strip the meat off, added chinese rice vinegar balanced with some sugar, hot chillies, garlic, ginger, cornflour (to thicken) and then threw in some diced spring onions at the end.

Hot and sour duck soup - enough for a few days.

So much cheaper and tastier than those Covent garden soups (which are still nice incidently).
    Full Marx!!

Top tip - if you use a takeaway which serves food in the little placcy things rather than tin foil and cardboard (as most of our locals do) save the placcy things, when you make a stock pour it into them and freeze. You then always have a handy brick of stock when you want to make soup (for me quite often just to save veges which are getting a bit sad rather than binning them...)

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Once or twice I've tried to make chicken soup by boiling a chicken carcase in water once I've had all the meat off it. But the result is a greasy, watery mess, and nothing like the chicken soup one gets in tins.
    Skim the fat & grease off and you have chicken stock, not chicken soup.

If you put some a chopped onion in with the carcase, it helps deal with the fat a little bit.

Edit: PS You're supposed to put the giblets in the pan too. That's why they give you the giblets.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 18 January 2010, 20:34.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Once or twice I've tried to make chicken soup by boiling a chicken carcase in water once I've had all the meat off it. But the result is a greasy, watery mess, and nothing like the chicken soup one gets in tins. So what am I doing wrong? Are any other ingredients needed?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I had a go at a Sweet Potato and Parsnip soup recently. I also added a bit of finely chopped garlic, ginger, cinammon, and a tin of coconut milk for extra sweetness.
    Bring to the boil in a couple of pints of chicken stock then simmer for about
    20-25 minutes.
    After that I whizzed it through the blender and Voila!!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I do think you're concentrating on the theory far too much.
    I'm new to this home cooking lark...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    What would you class as a salty soup?
    I do think you're concentrating on the theory far too much. Well for a winter, root veg kind of soup I'd leave the stock out because the vegetables taste nice on their own. But for a more summery green soup (leeks, celery, brocolli, fennel etc) you want some stock. Ideally proper chicken stock, but a vegetable stock cube at a pinch.

Currently t-1 hours till soup time!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It tastes better than it looks,apparently..
    most of my mashups taste better than they look, most of the missus's efforts taste worse than they look.

Like dishes by Lord Blandy Blandford from Blandy towers in South BlandLand

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    OK.
    For salty soup, add stock.
    What would you class as a salty soup?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    That looks foul! but I think I've had something similar in the mighty "Stockpot". Memorable because I ordered the Veal Escalope and was immediately asked matter-of-factly "would you like a side order of spaghetti bolognese with it?".
    It tastes better than it looks,apparently..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X