• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More snow and chaos on the way"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    Give me a 4X4 driver over a BMW driver anyday..
    X5, X3, X1 - worst of all

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    I'd rather drive down narrow snow covered country roads with Z4 M's on the other side of the road comming towards me than large Range Rover like 4WD's. The BMW owner is more likely to know what they have under them and its ability in such conditions than some dumb arse large 4WD owner

Of course the Honda S2000 owners will be parked up in the layby with the hood up looking for the torque while this is going on, and wondering why their tin bean can exhaust fell off
    Last edited by SuperZ; 18 January 2010, 13:04.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The niece and her BF went off the road into a ditch on saturday, black ice the police said.
    She has a few bruised ribs, otherwise ok

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    That 4x4 driver should be banned for life .
    In my village some idiot drove the exact same car through the town at probably over the speed limit(definately over 30) while the road was covered in snow and ice - they were zooming along. Picture a small village with narrow side roads leading out onto a quietish main road, where kids and cars can suddenly appear out of the side roads. 4x4 with good tyres, they're not going to stop easily

Just because they have 4wd they think they can drive at normal dry road speeds. I hate such cars sometimes as the drivers just have no idea and can end up causing problems due to their overconfidence in poor conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Just because they have 4wd they think they can drive at normal dry road speeds. I hate such cars sometimes as the drivers just have no idea and can end up causing problems due to their overconfidence in poor conditions.
    The handbook that came with my last motor was quite emphatic that 4WD is no substitute for winter tyres and adapting your driving to suit conditions.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    That 4x4 driver should be banned for life .
    In my village some idiot drove the exact same car through the town at probably over the speed limit(definately over 30) while the road was covered in snow and ice - they were zooming along. Picture a small village with narrow side roads leading out onto a quietish main road, where kids and cars can suddenly appear out of the side roads. 4x4 with good tyres, they're not going to stop easily

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    still plenty up here linky

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I live in Buckinghamshire and we're not used to it here.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Snow and ice - here we go again!

Although guilty of smugness driving around unaffected in the wife's 4x4 of late, I like the picture of the Range Rover on this page. Not sure what the driver was doing to end up there but I bet it shook her up a bit.
    Snow shows up bad driving quite impressively no matter how good the car is.

Not looking forwards to more snow, but it's winter and I live in Yorkshire so it's pretty inevitable.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The entire story is hung on the following:
    Meteorologist Paul Mott said: "It looks like it will turn colder in the mid-part of the week and there is a risk of some wet snow looking ahead to Tuesday night and Wednesday.

"There is rain coming from the west and we are expecting that to be preceded by snow in central England and North Wales."

So that's a risk (not a certainty) of a small amount of wet snow (which doesn't usually settle) after which it will rain (which will melt any snow that has settled).

Nothing in there to suggest any kind of chaos on the way
    WNFS

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The entire story is hung on the following:
    Meteorologist Paul Mott said: "It looks like it will turn colder in the mid-part of the week and there is a risk of some wet snow looking ahead to Tuesday night and Wednesday.

"There is rain coming from the west and we are expecting that to be preceded by snow in central England and North Wales."

So that's a risk (not a certainty) of a small amount of wet snow (which doesn't usually settle) after which it will rain (which will melt any snow that has settled).

Nothing in there to suggest any kind of chaos on the way

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post

Although guilty of smugness driving around unaffected in the wife's 4x4 of late, I like the picture of the Range Rover on this page. Not sure what the driver was doing to end up there but I bet it shook her up a bit.
    Indeed, petrified at the prospect of the sleety showers followed by heavy rain forecast.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    started a topic More snow and chaos on the way

More snow and chaos on the way

Working...
X