• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rate of the day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rate of the day"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Even in the Netherlands, times are hard:
    Was getting that an hour in my last gig... no wait, if we're going to pettifog it was 75 euro p/h

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    As a "local contractor", I can afford to take a hit becuase I'm not spending any money on commuting. Since I'm not spending it, I can't justify a higher rate for travel time. It all works out even in the end, because the lower rate is offset by the lack of personal costs for travel. Suits me fine.
    Pretty much what I do. Once we've got over the pleasantries and onto the hard stuff such as location and rates then I'll negotiate a lower rate if the work is within a decent commutable distance or I can remote work.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Our clients are looking for excellent candidates for the position of Network Support Consultants.

Duties:

Evaluate Customer BSS activities and suggest enhancement where needed.
    Perform Events analysis and generate report.
    Identify faulty hardware in the network using path balance and carrier stats.
    Perform SWFM analysis.
    Open Service Requests with product line and perform data collection using emon commands and tools.
    troubleshooting of hardware and software issues using events, stats, SWFMS and database parameters.
    Generate reports for senior management.
    Testing of new features and documenting results.
    Track performance and manage Customer Help Desk.
    Following up of help desk tickets resolution and provide guide lines to BSS team.
    BSS Consultancy support for internal and external teams.
    Support generating new HW and SW evaluation reports.
    Support generating specific business cases for software features.
    Qualification & Experience:

Network Support Engineer experience for at least 5 years
    Customer communication and handling experience.
    Must be fully aware of Motorola technical recommendations.
    Ability to produce quality presentation with least support structure around.
    Professional interpersonal skills.
    Positive team-oriented attitude and proven ability in team leading.
    Strong computer skills, including strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
    Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral.
    Package:

Salary+ Secured Accommodation+ Transportation+ AK47+ Body Armour+
    1 Return Ticket per year+ Medical Insurance

Please apply with confidence if you meet the above requirements.

Location Baghdad (Iraq)
    Country Iraq
    Duration 1 year-Extendable
    Rate Negotiable
    Employment Business Eurosearch and Selection
    Contact Ahmed Shafiq
    Telephone +44 (0) 845 862 0895
    Email [email protected]
    Reference JS/NETWORK SUPPORT/IRAQ
    Posted Date 14/01/2010 11:48:10

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Many companies in Holland specify a local contractor to fit with their new found 'Green' thing. Your address generally has to be within 45 minutes commute.
    Correct. I've been turned down on that one a few times but now just adapt my hometown to the advert as a few agents I know will provide an address in any town I want, obviously in return for a kickback.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    He only brings the letters about three miles from our local sorting office. As the crow flies.

Do you think he lives in Leeds then?
    Thats, nothing. I am from Liverpool and my postman is based in Manchester 35 miles away

mind you, I live in Manchester now. So its not as bad as it first appears

phew

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    As a "local contractor", I can afford to take a hit becuase I'm not spending any money on commuting. Since I'm not spending it, I can't justify a higher rate for travel time. It all works out even in the end, because the lower rate is offset by the lack of personal costs for travel. Suits me fine.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Whs

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Wouldn't 45 mins be enough to commute from one end in Holland to another?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Your address generally has to be within 45 minutes commute.
    Wouldn't 45 mins be enough to commute from one end in Holland to another?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    You said: "True. Our postman delivers letters for free because we are local."

Given discussion topic above when I said doing work local may well involve reduction in salary requirements due to objective reasons (lower costs to travel to work) it was implied by you that your postman is local, though you did it in a very peculiar way by saying that YOU are local, that in no way really meant that postman actually lives locally to you.

HTH
    He only brings the letters about three miles from our local sorting office. As the crow flies.

Do you think he lives in Leeds then?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Do they pay less if you live near the client? Seems some contractors here would be prepared to take roles on less money because it's 'local'!
    Many companies in Holland specify a local contractor to fit with their new found 'Green' thing. Your address generally has to be within 45 minutes commute.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I didn't say I knew where he lives.
    You said: "True. Our postman delivers letters for free because we are local."

Given discussion topic above when I said doing work local may well involve reduction in salary requirements due to objective reasons (lower costs to travel to work) it was implied by you that your postman is local, though you did it in a very peculiar way by saying that YOU are local, that in no way really meant that postman actually lives locally to you.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Do they pay less if you live near the client? Seems some contractors here would be prepared to take roles on less money because it's 'local'!
    Oooh, he must be taking it personally. Making the mature move of taking his complaint into a another thread to bitch about it. When actually he gets it wrong. It's charging more for far away roles, not a discount for local ones.

I bet if I ask a plumber from Essex to quote to work on my house in Durham, he'll say he expects to charge me for travel/accomodation costs.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    What makes you think postman lives on the same street with you?
    I didn't say I knew where he lives. I live in Bucks - do you think he might live in Leeds? I'll ask him. He probably does actually, he looks the sort.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    True. Our postman delivers letters for free because we are local.
    What makes you think postman lives on the same street with you?

Locality is a relative thing - for some that's few blocks, for others it's a few thousand miles.

Say I work locally now - 5 miles away from office, can work from home, previously (many moons ago) I had to commute by car on M6 about 100 miles per day, that was at the time when fuel cost only £35 per tank of diesel, still was not cheap.

At current prices not communiting that far would save me £200 per month in direct fuel costs, plus a lot more on car maintenance, and far more on aggro. Naturally if I was choosing between local office and previous job I'd gladly drop my salary by £5k because after tax it would work out in my favour - calm easy drive is priceless.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X