• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cable thefts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cable thefts"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Lead thief:
    It is believed he was with another man who left the scene before police arrived.
    I'd love to think the "other man" knicked the first man's ladder: "Hello, who left this ladder here? I could do with a ladder..."

Lead thief:
    Detective Sergeant Brian Johnson said:

"We want to remind people not to take risks by going up on roofs in such terrible weather conditions and in the dark. Clearly by doing so they are risking serious injury"
    It's nice to know the Police are giving tips to the criminal fraternity.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Which goes on to remind me of another plonker who tried to cut a cable in the Strand in Swansea with a hacksaw.
    I saw a hacksaw that'd been used to try and cut some three phase with the power on, nicely welded in.

The guy was nowhere to be found but the explosion ruptured an oil filled telecoms cable in the same trough and there was a Mr Bean style shadow on the doors of a metal casing, so he must have been splayed there for a good few seconds before someone helped him away...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    They burgled Baby BP's nursery over the weekend. Second time in 3 months. Like the first time they got away with nothing. No-one pays for childcare by cash. Total muppets.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Hopefully this will make the thieves take stock of their lives and perhaps realise that thieving is not for them - perhaps some sort of 'total internal reflection' is called for

yeah yeah I know its a crap geeky joke - I just couldn't help myself

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Eh? There's fibre cabling buried all over the place.

Oh, and it's fibre, FFS, fibre. Not fiber.
    Yup, and in this context that's the standard spelling for "fibre" even in the US.

Leave a comment:

• SlimRick
    replied
    Well, I hope I have helped in their life re-evaluation in some small part. Just had a quote for a grand to replace the missing section and re-joint it.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
    Had a 300ft section of cable cut and removed from site on Friday evening - bloody copper thieves.....except it was fibre optic they took, scrap value approx £0. Where do these people learn their trade?
    Hopefully this will make the thieves take stock of their lives and perhaps realise that thieving is not for them - perhaps some sort of 'total internal reflection' is called for

yeah yeah I know its a crap geeky joke - I just couldn't help myself

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Eh? There's fibre cabling buried all over the place. Oh, and it's fibre, FFS, fibre. Not fiber.
    Last mile is copper.

You need to apply for a job as a spelling teacher.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Had a 300ft section of cable cut and removed from site on Friday evening - bloody copper thieves.....except it was fibre optic they took, scrap value approx £0. Where do these people learn their trade?
    The cable thieves are told to go out and steal cable: there'll be a few quid in it for them, or some debt will be reduced a bit.

They don't care if it's the correct type of cable or not, they still get paid.

The chap who commissioned them, he might well end up out of pocket, but next time he sends them out they'll maybe get the right stuff, and he'll be ahead again.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied

WHS

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Indeed. Wasn't it Thatcher who forbidden BT to put fiber into the ground?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    This would never have happened under the Tories.
    Indeed. Wasn't it Thatcher who forbidden BT to put fiber into the ground?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    The Derby - Leeds train journey was virtually unusable a few years ago because of cabling thefts. It used to happen weekly and the trains would be delayed for hours.

Not sure if that situation has improved...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Aha hahaha ha. ha. Even the thieves aren't what they used to be. This would never have happened under the Tories.

Leave a comment:

• SlimRick
    started a topic Cable thefts

Cable thefts

Working...
X