• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Problems with the economy are just starting ..."

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    As the PIGS are in deep tulipe (unemployment in Spain is at depression levels - 20% and Greece is effectively bust), what will the Germans do as they move out of recession? Because a growing economy needs a different policy to one in the doldrums e.g. you cannot keep interest rates low.
    Italy and the like used to devalue and inflate in past situations like this but cannot now - they have to make the hard decision to stick with austerity.
    Its going to be interesting.
    Meanwhile in the UK whatever government is elected in May will have to make swingeing cuts so expect unemployment (in the public sector) to be massively increased, house prices to fall drastically and the postponed recession to take hold.
    depression

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    Experts in finance appear to be highly paid pissh'eads, whose predictions I would give less weight than my local mystic tarot card reader.
    So still head and shoulders above sg then?

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Experts

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I will ask an expert
    Hmm recent events have shown that "expert" opinions dont always equate to what transpires. Experts in finance appear to be highly paid pissh'eads, whose predictions I would give less weight than my local mystic tarot card reader.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Pah these johnny-come-latelies.
    Way back in CUK tradition, SB and I have a rich and honourable history of me besting him with my wit and intelligence.
    It would require an awfully long trip back in history to find an occasion when a slack-jawed peabrain like you could ever best me sg!!
    If I might use a Naval analogy, that would be the equivalent of the Bismark being crippled by the Isle of Wight Ferry!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Way back in CUK tradition, SB and I have a rich and honourable history of me besting him with my wit and intelligence.
    That's true actually.

He is the only one on here you can best (and I counted andyW also)

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It seems this thread has turned into handbags at 20 paces, leave it SB 'es not worth it.
    Pah these johnny-come-latelies.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    It seems this thread has turned into handbags at 20 paces, leave it SB 'es not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I can just imagine Christmas in your family, all the rest of them fixed in a rictus grin, while they indulge simple Uncle SB in his verbal diarrhoea.

I can break the insults down for you, or do you need it in pictorial form again?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Maybe not, but the last thing that is required is a gloomy harbinger of doom like you tediously repeating snippets that clearly pass so far over your head they cannot be glimpsed without binoculars. In short, if I want an informed opinion about the state of the economy I will ask an expert, and not put too much faith in someone of your limited ability to regurgitate what you have overheard whilst mopping the bogs.
    I can just imagine Christmas in your family, all the rest of them fixed in a rictus grin, while they indulge simple Uncle SB in his verbal diarrhoea.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Well in your simple and happy world I'm sure everything is just fine and dandy.
    Maybe not, but the last thing that is required is a gloomy harbinger of doom like you tediously repeating snippets that clearly pass so far over your head they cannot be glimpsed without binoculars. In short, if I want an informed opinion about the state of the economy I will ask an expert, and not put too much faith in someone of your limited ability to regurgitate what you have overheard whilst mopping the bogs.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Indeed. Opportunities to make money always exist - ain't capitalism great?
    Private profits, but losses are for the taxpayers to bear eh?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yes, and we can always rely upon you to be bearer of same!
    Well in your simple and happy world I'm sure everything is just fine and dandy.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    But at least we can hope that you personally will do well in this crisis and will ride the wave to success in owning a few streets full of bedsits in London?
    Indeed. Opportunities to make money always exist - ain't capitalism great?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    ... However in private various mates who work in the City/finance are saying sell sell sell. The people who created the financial mess are still in charge and still taking us all for a ride.
    Yup, been saying it for months: Speed - The 50 MPH bus ride, with the manic bus driver cum bomber still in charge, and us screaming passengers in the back.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    As the PIGS are in deep tulipe (unemployment in Spain is at depression levels - 20% and Greece is effectively bust), what will the Germans do as they move out of recession? Because a growing economy needs a different policy to one in the doldrums e.g. you cannot keep interest rates low.
    Italy and the like used to devalue and inflate in past situations like this but cannot now - they have to make the hard decision to stick with austerity.
    Its going to be interesting.
    Meanwhile in the UK whatever government is elected in May will have to make swingeing cuts so expect unemployment (in the public sector) to be massively increased, house prices to fall drastically and the postponed recession to take hold.
    The bizarre thing is that the stockmarket and just about everybody of note commenting publicly point to things being OK in 2010. However in private various mates who work in the City/finance are saying sell sell sell. The people who created the financial mess are still in charge and still taking us all for a ride.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X