• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Arise, Sir Jean-Luc Picard"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I wish I'd been able to see Sir Patrick Stewart (sounds weird, that) in Waiting for Godot earlier this year
    It was pretty good. The only consolation I can offer is: if you imagine what it would have been like, you probably have an accurate picture.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I don't hold with those 'modern' Shakespeare productions
    Except when ladies are running around semi-naked, like the Twelfth Night production I watched in the summer.

I definitely hold with those.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I think that would be ace !

Imagine Patrick Stewart doing a serious monologue in something like Henry V, and then at a key moment turning to a fellow actor to give him orders and saying "Make it so !", followed by a wink to the audience.

I'm sure all would be forgiven ! Even the non-trekkies would have a giggle !
    I don't hold with those 'modern' Shakespeare productions

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    A Trekkie, moi ?

There are quite a few email lists you can get on to get advance notice of what shows are on.

Anyway, I doubt most Trekkies are even slightly interested in Shakespeare. And thank God that any who are don't call out "make it so" etc during the performance
    I think that would be ace !

Imagine Patrick Stewart doing a serious monologue in something like Henry V, and then at a key moment turning to a fellow actor to give him orders and saying "Make it so !", followed by a wink to the audience.

I'm sure all would be forgiven ! Even the non-trekkies would have a giggle !

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    please stop rubbing it in.

It's nigh on impossible to get tickets for anything he's in, as all the bl**dy trekkies nab the tickets first.
    A Trekkie, moi ?

There are quite a few email lists you can get on to get advance notice of what shows are on.

Anyway, I doubt most Trekkies are even slightly interested in Shakespeare. And thank God that any who are don't call out "make it so" etc during the performance

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Make it so

I wish I'd been able to see Sir Patrick Stewart (sounds weird, that) in Waiting for Godot earlier this year - I haven't seen the play since a production at the Oxford Playhouse in 1981, but as soon as I heard that he and Sir Ian McKellen were to appear I could imagine what a cracking show it would be. The critics all seemed to think so. Serves me right for taking a gig outside London

Anyway, a well-earned honour IMHO

They'd stay next door to my wife's house in Bath when they were playing in town, Ian even gave us a pair of tickets for the stalls! I sheet you not...

PS: the story aint all that it's just got two really fantastic actors...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I saw his Macbeth last year and The Tempest the year before - brilliant!
    please stop rubbing it in.

It's nigh on impossible to get tickets for anything he's in, as all the bl**dy trekkies nab the tickets first.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I wish I'd been able to see Sir Patrick Stewart (sounds weird, that) in Waiting for Godot earlier this year
    I saw his Macbeth last year and The Tempest the year before - brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    I wish I'd been able to see Sir Patrick Stewart (sounds weird, that) in Waiting for Godot earlier this year ...
    I once saw Rick Mayall and Ade Edmondson playing Vladimir and Estragon, brought a new comic slant to what is essentially a black play about futility.

It might also have some resonance with current bench-dwellers...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Jensen Button received an MBE

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Although not knighted, don't forget the Quo...

Status Quo OBE

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    A Labour Luvvie too.

Calculated to attract the geek vote in an election year?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I saw him in his one-man Christmas Carol once when I was working in London, the week before Christmas.

A grown-up's Jackanory.

Magical.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Never seen anything he's been in but have formed the impression that he is a total luvvie knob from interviews on TV. Thankfully my memories of William Shatner as Captain Kirk remain.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Saw him play Henry IV at Stratford back in 1974 or 1975.

"So shaken are we, so wan with care,
    find we a time for frighted place to pant ...."

Great stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X