• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: India

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "India"

Collapse

• Fishface
    replied
    yes, I went there in my early 20's. I went to Manali, Kulu and Shimla also.

It is a big schlep in a knakkered plane or a funky(stinky) bus with whiny music screeching out - for not very much.

A better trip and more leisurely is taking the 'Toy Train' from Chandigarh to Shimla - spectacular views all the way from the flat to the foothills of the Himalyas on a very narrow gauge wooden train across revines and steep, steep mountain sides - highly recommended. And Shimla is quite nice if a bit boring - when I was there Sam Fox was appearing a 'racy' bollywood movie - there was a queue a mile long to see her.

Tonnes of monkeys knockin' one out all over the streets - careful.

Indian Railwaymens Club was a nice stop for 'tiffin'

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Why Srinagar ?
    Just always wanted to stay on one of those houseboats there. It is, by all accounts, a very beautiful setting & the climate's pleasant too.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Haven't been myself, but Lonely planet is always good for info
    I used to think so until I ended up half way round the world stuck in some unlikely rare attraction with no one here except westerners expecting challenge anneka to appear any minute...

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Why India for that matter, when Nepal's so close by?
    What has Nepal got to do with it ?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Why Srinagar ? Indians themselves do not venture out there. The muslim militants like to kidnap foreigners for ransom purposes. The situation is so bad the militants even open fire on harmless piligrams visiting a holy hindu shrine ( despite military presence providing security).

Having said that, India is a darn big country. It will take a lifetime to explore it.
    Plenty of things to see and do in South India or you could do the touristy thing and visit Taj Mahal etc.
    Why India for that matter, when Nepal's so close by?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    was thinking of going to Srinagar in March for a couple of weeks. Have always wanted to stay in one of those houseboats they have there. Anyone had any recent experience of the area? I seem to recall there have been some security issues in the past.
    Why Srinagar ? Indians themselves do not venture out there. The muslim militants like to kidnap foreigners for ransom purposes. The situation is so bad the militants even open fire on harmless piligrams visiting a holy hindu shrine ( despite military presence providing security).

Having said that, India is a darn big country. It will take a lifetime to explore it.
    Plenty of things to see and do in South India or you could do the touristy thing and visit Taj Mahal etc.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    was thinking of going to Srinagar in March for a couple of weeks. Have always wanted to stay in one of those houseboats they have there. Anyone had any recent experience of the area? I seem to recall there have been some security issues in the past.
    Haven't been myself, but Lonely planet is always good for info

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Went to Kerala a few years back, we spent a few days on a house boat cruising through the back waters 'the venice of the east' they call it - Me the wife, a captain and a chef, what more do you want?

We were picked up from the waterfront our hotel room looked over... all very surreal now that I think about it.

PM if you need details...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Maybe he spilt some curry
    spag bol

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Maybe ask Alreadypacked, she spends a lot of time in India.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Hmm, I think that's a no then

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...-oceania/india

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    "....the building developed cracks."

No sh*t sherlock.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Maybe he spilt some curry

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Well as it's a quiet day I might have another go with this one. Anyone ever been?
    Yep, went when I was 21. Set off as a 14 stone 7 lb first class rugby player and county u-21 shotputter, came back 6 weeks later 10 stone and barely able to lift a can of beer, never mind my rucksack. It was the lambburger in the Shivnivas Palace Hotel what done it.

Took me about 2 years to get fit again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X