• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How bad is Xmas (food) shopping today?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    It belongs to the business, and it has a value.
    It's free car parking included as part of rent for our office. It is effectively included into rateable value of the office that we pay - why on earth should we pay extra?

If we were a car parking company then it would be ok to levy business rates, but if it's parking for employees then it's just another tax on employment.
    Last edited by AtW; 24 December 2009, 14:20.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    We got Tesco in city center not far from office where we got dedicated car parking space, for which I must add the company pays business rates

Talking of which - how the **** it came about that businesses have to pay business rates on employee car parking? FFS!
    It belongs to the business, and it has a value. Therefore the business pays business rates on it.

Also, the employee should pay tax and NICs on it as a benefit in kind.

Why on earth would you expect it to be free of taxes?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Do Pot Noodle make a Turkey and Stuffing flavour?
    Available in the shops early 2010.

(Geebus, just how many people who know me read this site? )

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    They did one Xmas ?1994?.

Not this year though.
    And I've had a correction by email from one of the gathered congregation.

Yes, you can get it this year.

It's available this year in Afghanistan they can confirm.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    They did one Xmas ?1994?.

Not this year though.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    just popped down to our local Tesco. Pretty quiet and mostly blokes shopping.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'll go check Tesco in Quinton, they are tulipy store but relatively big car park...

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    The tesco near me was really quiet - easy parking and half the checkouts were empty, the same for the co-op

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Set off at 6am to pick up the goose,

Still, got all the booze in
    Goose or booze?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Set off at 6am to pick up the goose, -12 so the the diesel was starting to freeze and had reduced power (at least I hope that's what it was). Got back eventually but now faced with the prospect of getting the veggies. Dilemma - Tesco which has plenty of parking or M&S which doesn't. Either way it'll be a nightmare.

Still, got all the booze in

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Go tomorrow morning - there will be nobody around then.
    Those little corner shops are actually quite busy.

Luckily they sell alcohol and chocolate so you will be able to get some last minute presents.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Go tomorrow morning - there will be nobody around then.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Strangely enough, I called in and filled up the tank this morning (Petrol) and all the diesel pumps were closed off!
    Oh f!!k. I need to drive down to Kent on Boxing Day. I suppose if I can't find one I'm going to have to half fill up at a motorway service station.

In years gone past I did all my Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve. It didn't use to be that busy but then I avoided supermarkets.

Now I get a load of presents in supermarkets..............

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    we were expecting an ASDA delivery on Christmas eve eve, aka wed night. It got snowed in , so the missus went into panic mode.

We set the alarm for 4am and drove over to the ASDA in Horwich. The A6 was empty and the supermarket had half a dozen other early birds, but apart from the restocking trolleys , it was a succesful foray

go now and you will regret it, it will be mayhem

Leave a comment:

Working...
X