• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Peoplesoft bloke 'ave it..."

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Nu Liebor banned guns - and gun crime went up big time! Not from previous legit owners either.
    Now I hate Nu Liebor as much as the next man, but this is just not true. They haven't banned guns. They banned a specific calibre of a type of gun. Not really the same thing is it?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    My views are being misrepresented here.

Corrected version:

Anybody: OMFG! The Daily Mail says that the Tories are promising me the Earth, the Moon, a Pony, and a Unicorn! FFS, the Tories are my saviours, I'm wetting myself with anticipation at the thought of voting for them!!!?1!11!!

Me: The Daily Mail prints any old tulip Cameroon's mob ask it to print. The Tories say any old tulip they think you'll be stupid enough to be taken in by. The story is about the Tories promising to change the words used to describe something (cf. Windscale and Sellafield) because they regard you with contempt and assume you'll fall for it. It seems they were correct in this assumption. Get a grip.

FTFY.
    I've only just seen this thread (I was a bit busy just prior to Christmas). Not for the first time, Nick Fitz says it better than I ever could.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    AtW: Hark is that a burglar I hear? <GRABS GUN> <BANG> <DEAD BURGLAR>

NF: (Judge) He was invading your property - your innocent of murder but guilty of owning a firearm without a license.

OR

AtW: Hark is that a burglar I hear? <GRABS GUN> <CHASES BURGLAR DOWN STREET> <BANG> <DEAD BURGLAR>

NF: (Judge) HANG HIM! HANG HIM!
    My views are being misrepresented here.

Corrected version:

Anybody: OMFG! The Daily Mail says that the Tories are promising me the Earth, the Moon, a Pony, and a Unicorn! FFS, the Tories are my saviours, I'm wetting myself with anticipation at the thought of voting for them!!!?1!11!!

Me: The Daily Mail prints any old tulip Cameroon's mob ask it to print. The Tories say any old tulip they think you'll be stupid enough to be taken in by. The story is about the Tories promising to change the words used to describe something (cf. Windscale and Sellafield) because they regard you with contempt and assume you'll fall for it. It seems they were correct in this assumption. Get a grip.

FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Burglars can't legally defend themselves using reasonable force?
    Not if they are in process of committing crime by burgling someone else's house. In this case any "self defense" from their side should be treated as aggravated action.

It's like asking if armed bank robbers are entitled to self defense from the police, of course not.

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Wow! A real step forwards. Not grossly disproportionate force is far more reasonable than reasonable force although reasonable force would also be not grossly disproportionate.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It won't apply to burglars unless they choose to burgle their own house.
    Burglars can't legally defend themselves using reasonable force?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Presumably any change in law would be applicable to burglars too.
    It won't apply to burglars unless they choose to burgle their own house.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Presumably any change in law would be applicable to burglars too. So an armed householder confronting a (suspected/alleged) burglar, and who as a consequence of a gun pointing/firing session comes out dead, shouldn't have anything to moan about. In fact he could be dead happy as the law allowed the burglar to protect himself using reasonable force.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Great solution. All live in such fear you need to keep knifes' next to the bed ...

Perhaps we'd be better off punishing criminals and making their lifes harder should they decide to break into someone's house ... dunno.
    Read my post again - I do not do this.

Society is not so fcked up to need this yet, not in my experience.
    This probably reflects on where I live rather than a true universal representation of modern Britain.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Burglers are people too!

If you cut them, do they not bleed?

Oh Yeh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfGpwJHodE

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Clarification is needed on how much of a head start 'reasonable force' implies, how far can you chase them and whether hounds and cricket bats can be used.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    As Jeebo says if anyone enters my house without being asked they are leaving via the nearest exit.

Problem is people will use it as an excuse to beat people up they do not like - and that is why it is such a grey area - to prove yourself innocent you have to prove the person you have just shot/maimed/beaten up was actually guilty of burglary (or attmepted burglary)
    I appreciate they can't have people dragging guys into their house and saying they were an intruder as an excuse to beat them up. But the law doesn't treat the genuine cases, where aggravated burglary has been proven, fair. That's the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    As Jeebo says if anyone enters my house without being asked they are leaving via the nearest exit.

Problem is people will use it as an excuse to beat people up they do not like - and that is why it is such a grey area - to prove yourself innocent you have to prove the person you have just shot/maimed/beaten up was actually guilty of burglary (or attmepted burglary)
    As soon as the law changes in my favour, I see a lot of invites to house warming parties going out to people I don't like

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    I So just sleep with the knife block by the bedside.
    Great solution. All live in such fear you need to keep knifes' next to the bed ...

Perhaps we'd be better off punishing criminals and making their lifes harder should they decide to break into someone's house ... dunno.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X