• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Benchtime

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Benchtime"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    I had an interview lined up and it got cancelled, rang pimp and I think it may be on hold, lets hope it comes off hold in the new year.

Its a 50% rate rise and a chance to move to NL.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    Guess I just need to forget about work until after Christmas.
    Nooo! I fired off a CV this morning for a gig and the agent called me back ... get your searching & applications done now while everyone else is shopping / eating / getting drunk.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Good luck to you benchmen and women. Thought I would be there with you after xmas but have managed to wring a few more drips out of current one.

Do you think there is any mileage in having a CUK barter system wherby we can exchange skills and 'do each others washing' instead of paying tradesman? I am betting us IT folk have plenty of alternative skills - decorating, plastering, simple DIY etc that we could trade with each other when on the bench.

I for one have a stack of DIY that I can't get near cos of work and refuse to pay outrageous rates charged by light builders round our way when I know one day I could do it myself if I have the time. Not fully thought out plan as yet but might have some potential, what do you reckon?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Jobserve has gone a bit quiet - ah well.

I feel an urge to bake.

More mince pies anyone?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I'd let you have my space on the bench (4 months and counting) but as I've just mucked up a phone interview for the easiest job going, I reckon I'll need the space a while longer.
    Phone interview?? That's a sure sign things are on the up, clients have been conducting face to face interviews with 10x candidates for a single 5 week support role.

It'll be 'phone call Friday start Monday' before we know it... Boomed!!

Leave a comment:

• bellymonster
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    for getting an interview and for getting the opportunity to practise your telephone interview technique on a noddy gig in readiness for your perfect gig.
    It was a noddy gig with a noddy daily rate, but it was localish and I could do with the dosh.

Guess I just need to forget about work until after Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I've just mucked up a phone interview
    for getting an interview and for getting the opportunity to practise your telephone interview technique on a noddy gig in readiness for your perfect gig.

Leave a comment:

• bellymonster
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    budge up, pretty please
    I'd let you have my space on the bench (4 months and counting) but as I've just mucked up a phone interview for the easiest job going, I reckon I'll need the space a while longer.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    If you think you can just turn up and pinch someone else's pre-heated bit, you can think again!

There's plenty of space at the far end, where the varnish is peeling (although you cannot see that because of the frost).

There's a hot water bottle under a rug on the bit under the shelter, right by the spare beer warmer. Just move the sign that says "Reserved for Menelaus". (As a decoy, that works a treat.)

norrahe, you just need to know how to ask...
    budge up, pretty please

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Budge up lads and lasses...
    If you think you can just turn up and pinch someone else's pre-heated bit, you can think again!

There's plenty of space at the far end, where the varnish is peeling (although you cannot see that because of the frost).

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I'll be along on Wednesday - keep a space warm for me
    There's a hot water bottle under a rug on the bit under the shelter, right by the spare beer warmer. Just move the sign that says "Reserved for Menelaus". (As a decoy, that works a treat.)

norrahe, you just need to know how to ask...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I found that post moving GJ.

But contractors are a resourceful bunch, compared to most permies. Think of it this way - marketing yourself and punting for work is actually part of the job.

I'm sure it won't be too long before you are complaining about your next client.
    Yeah I know you're right, most permies in this situation would be panicking but I'm confident I'll getting something pretty quick as my expectations are very low.

My problem is lack of funds as the last 2 contracts were both breadline money, things can only get better™.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

But contractors are a resourceful bunch, compared to most permies. Think of it this way - marketing yourself and punting for work is actually part of the job.

I'm sure it won't be too long before you are complaining about your next client.
    We all need to keep positive and keep getting ourselves out there, some of us have been through this before at the beginning of the crunch last year.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    And me.

I had to keep a brave face as dropped the wife of in town for her xmas do, I didn't want to ruin her night.

My 2 year old said "don't worry daddy" completely out of the blue, very perceptive.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Wotcha

Am looking forward to a break, but not too long, last time is was very long
    we'll see what 2010 brings eh?

How are the benched beauties today then?
    Morning Ms P

good way to start me birfday

Here's hoping it will be a nice break and not the long soujourn I had before

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Wotcha

Am looking forward to a break, but not too long, last time is was very long
    we'll see what 2010 brings eh?

How are the benched beauties today then?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X