• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I hope you haven't bought a Saab recently"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Shame - I knew a fella who had one with no lid on.. I liked it.
    My cousin brought one like that when he was contracting.

Very comfortable it was to ride in too.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    Who else remembers the classic ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvAnZWRGCFE

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I knew once that I had written about the free wheel someone would come back and prove me wrong! Are the body panels, I still have some in the attic.

EDIT just looked at Wiki
    Two-stroke engines
    Engine braking in a two-stroke engine can be extremely harmful to the engine, because cylinder and piston lubricant is delivered to each cylinder mixed with fuel. Consequently, during engine braking, the engine starves not only of fuel but also lubricant, while parts reciprocate rapidly. Four-stroke engines typically have lubrication by an oil pump, independent of the throttle and fuel system.

On my old Saab, it had a separate oil tank that injected the oil into the system (crank, etc)
    I've been looking at a few v4 96s lately but getting one in good nick is a bit of a struggle.

Just picked up my c900 from a bodyshop tonight and drove it home through ice rink brussels rush hour. Still a brilliant car; loads of fun tuning it and good for everyday use.

Got a 9-5 sitting next to it downstairs, and I've had various others so I guess I'm a fan but I've never been able to figure out why.

Bit of a downer but not surprising as they had been slipping out of their target market and losing stacks of cash on everything they sold in the US.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    We're getting there. Wiki:

How I remember it was that the free wheeling option was so popular with Saab owners that Saab kept it when they moved to 4 stroke engines.

Interesting about the ease of maintenance features, and that rings a bell. Were body panels easy to replace as well?
    I knew once that I had written about the free wheel someone would come back and prove me wrong! Are the body panels, I still have some in the attic.

EDIT just looked at Wiki
    Two-stroke engines
    Engine braking in a two-stroke engine can be extremely harmful to the engine, because cylinder and piston lubricant is delivered to each cylinder mixed with fuel. Consequently, during engine braking, the engine starves not only of fuel but also lubricant, while parts reciprocate rapidly. Four-stroke engines typically have lubrication by an oil pump, independent of the throttle and fuel system.

On my old Saab, it had a separate oil tank that injected the oil into the system (crank, etc)
    Last edited by Paddy; 18 December 2009, 18:08.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    <In anorak mode >
    There was a lever to select free wheel or fixed. It had nothing to do with engine braking on two stroke engines and the same mechanism was fitted to the Ford V4 engine on later models. The free wheel aided economy and helped on icy roads. (free wheel on ice gives maximum grip). Good points on the old 95s and 96s were that most components were adjustable and serviceable. Eg grease points and shim adjustments on ball joints. I never need to change any parts other than consumables.
    We're getting there. Wiki:

Engine braking in a two-stroke engine can be extremely harmful to the engine, because cylinder and piston lubricant is delivered to each cylinder mixed with fuel. Consequently, during engine braking, the engine starves not only of fuel but also lubricant, while parts reciprocate rapidly.
    How I remember it was that the free wheeling option was so popular with Saab owners that Saab kept it when they moved to 4 stroke engines.

Interesting about the ease of maintenance features, and that rings a bell. Were body panels easy to replace as well?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I think they had free wheeling hubs 'cos two strokes don't like engine braking. I vaguely remember a complaint that their brake pads didn't last long as a result.
    <In anorak mode >
    There was a lever to select free wheel or fixed. It had nothing to do with engine braking on two stroke engines and the same mechanism was fitted to the Ford V4 engine on later models. The free wheel aided economy and helped on icy roads. (free wheel on ice gives maximum grip). Good points on the old 95s and 96s were that most components were adjustable and serviceable. Eg grease points and shim adjustments on ball joints. I never need to change any parts other than consumables.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Since GM bought them, they have just been re-badges Vectra's.

Prior to that was when they were individual cars.
    Last edited by Clippy; 18 December 2009, 17:22.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The two stroke ones were interesting.

If a bit smokey.
    I think they had free wheeling hubs 'cos two strokes don't like engine braking. I vaguely remember a complaint that their brake pads didn't last long as a result.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The two stroke ones were interesting.

If a bit smokey.

I made this mistake of not using a two stoke Saab for some months. It messed up the engine because of it’s open ports. Apparently when not in use you should choke the engine with oil to preserve it.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I learned to drive in a Morris 1000 in Barcelona then bought a Saab 99 Turbo when I got home, a wee bit of a change

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I liked the old ones. One of the first cars I drove.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Shame - I knew a fella who had one with no lid on.. I liked it.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.saab.co.uk/gb/en/start#/home/

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Wot's a "Saab" ?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic I hope you haven't bought a Saab recently

I hope you haven't bought a Saab recently