• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hope you haven't bought a Saab recently

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    <In anorak mode >
    There was a lever to select free wheel or fixed. It had nothing to do with engine braking on two stroke engines and the same mechanism was fitted to the Ford V4 engine on later models. The free wheel aided economy and helped on icy roads. (free wheel on ice gives maximum grip). Good points on the old 95s and 96s were that most components were adjustable and serviceable. Eg grease points and shim adjustments on ball joints. I never need to change any parts other than consumables.
    We're getting there. Wiki:

Engine braking in a two-stroke engine can be extremely harmful to the engine, because cylinder and piston lubricant is delivered to each cylinder mixed with fuel. Consequently, during engine braking, the engine starves not only of fuel but also lubricant, while parts reciprocate rapidly.
    How I remember it was that the free wheeling option was so popular with Saab owners that Saab kept it when they moved to 4 stroke engines.

Interesting about the ease of maintenance features, and that rings a bell. Were body panels easy to replace as well?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      We're getting there. Wiki:

How I remember it was that the free wheeling option was so popular with Saab owners that Saab kept it when they moved to 4 stroke engines.

Interesting about the ease of maintenance features, and that rings a bell. Were body panels easy to replace as well?
      I knew once that I had written about the free wheel someone would come back and prove me wrong! Are the body panels, I still have some in the attic.

EDIT just looked at Wiki
      Two-stroke engines
      Engine braking in a two-stroke engine can be extremely harmful to the engine, because cylinder and piston lubricant is delivered to each cylinder mixed with fuel. Consequently, during engine braking, the engine starves not only of fuel but also lubricant, while parts reciprocate rapidly. Four-stroke engines typically have lubrication by an oil pump, independent of the throttle and fuel system.

On my old Saab, it had a separate oil tank that injected the oil into the system (crank, etc)
      Last edited by Paddy; 18 December 2009, 18:08.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I knew once that I had written about the free wheel someone would come back and prove me wrong! Are the body panels, I still have some in the attic.

EDIT just looked at Wiki
        Two-stroke engines
        Engine braking in a two-stroke engine can be extremely harmful to the engine, because cylinder and piston lubricant is delivered to each cylinder mixed with fuel. Consequently, during engine braking, the engine starves not only of fuel but also lubricant, while parts reciprocate rapidly. Four-stroke engines typically have lubrication by an oil pump, independent of the throttle and fuel system.

On my old Saab, it had a separate oil tank that injected the oil into the system (crank, etc)
        I've been looking at a few v4 96s lately but getting one in good nick is a bit of a struggle.

Just picked up my c900 from a bodyshop tonight and drove it home through ice rink brussels rush hour. Still a brilliant car; loads of fun tuning it and good for everyday use.

Got a 9-5 sitting next to it downstairs, and I've had various others so I guess I'm a fan but I've never been able to figure out why.

Bit of a downer but not surprising as they had been slipping out of their target market and losing stacks of cash on everything they sold in the US.

Comment

Who else remembers the classic ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvAnZWRGCFE

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            Shame - I knew a fella who had one with no lid on.. I liked it.
            My cousin brought one like that when he was contracting.

Very comfortable it was to ride in too.

Comment

Working...
            X