• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sir Terry Wogan retires from Radio 2"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Todays J&J was in a similar vein, I can't remember the exact transcript but it centred around an Indian meal with John having to explain a 'sweet lassi' on the table who didn't like the 'aloo' but preferred a 'golden shah' with 'hot peas'.
    "he said I would appreciate the golden shah more if I got down on the floor"

The Janet & John numbers are the funniest things on the radio, I would be on the train almost dribbling as they were read out. I have the first CD and will probably get the next few. I was happy to hear they are being kept for his new show.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Silly question perhaps, but why do we need a Disc Jockey in the first place ?

Surely they can plan a 2 hour playlist like you can with Windows Media Player, press "play" and jobs a good 'un.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Evans has become less of the unboubted arse he was for years. That whole Gazza, Baker, Evans period and not turning up for work made him out to be a complete cock, he was obviously using cocaine heavily in my opinion. I don't hate him now like I use to, he seems like he has taken 45 years to grow up.

The problem with his show is that he cannot just sit and talk for an hour and keep you entertained like old Terry did, he relies on people being there on the phone or in the studio. He gets swiftly booted off the radio when he has the women call up to say what car they drive. Having a child phone up every day to tell you what he did for the first time is just not entertaining.

That 2 hour commute was almost OK with Sir Terry on the radio.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Terry Wogan was ok apart from the almost constant wobbling on about Children in Need reaching a frenzy in November.

I'm not impressed by Chris Evans.
    I'm impressed by his ability to generate an air of self importance and disguise the fact that he's an annoying git

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Terry Wogan was ok apart from the almost constant wobbling on about Children in Need reaching a frenzy in November.

I'm not impressed by Chris Evans.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Mark & Lard used to be equally disgusting, though slightly more directly.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    As I have said before and I will say again a man that has said "She was on all fours on the vestry floor and he said he was Pastor Kidneys" on the radio deserves a knighthood.
    Todays J&J was in a similar vein, I can't remember the exact transcript but it centred around an Indian meal with John having to explain a 'sweet lassi' on the table who didn't like the 'aloo' but preferred a 'golden shah' with 'hot peas'.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Gordon Brown's message to Terry Wogan - a)genuine or b)cynical popularity attempt like the Memorial Day photo snafu or c)both?
    It can only ever be b)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Gordon Brown's message to Terry Wogan - a)genuine or b)cynical popularity attempt like the Memorial Day photo snafu or c)both?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I always thought he was great on The Big Breakfast.

And I liked Zig and Zag

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Dave View Post
    Does anybody like Chris Evans? Except Chris Evans
    It's going back a long time (early-90s I suppose), but his weekend shows on the old GLR were genuine genius. The kind of programme where you'd sit in the car for 20 minutes after you'd pulled up outside your house because you didn't want to miss anything.

I know that's hard to imagine now, but it's how it was. I haven't heard him anywhere near as good as that for years, but you never know, he could get it back.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Evans is far too self-centred: every other speaking participant on his show has to talk to him rather than talk to the audience. It's not Drive Time, it's the Chris Evans Show.

And he talks over the first third and the last third of every song. He obviously prefers the sound of his own voice to the sound of the music, or at least thinks that his voice adds to the appeal. I don't.

Years ago I was surprised to find that my bbc music radio station was starting to be radio 2 instead of radio 1, but they managed to move the generation of listeners, DJs, and music over fairly smoothly from 1 to 2. Chris Evan's style (which I admit is well-done for what it is) belongs to a different generation. I suppose this is another generational change happening now, but there is nowhere for me to go on to, well, apart from Planet Rock.

Actually it's worse than that, Jim. It's an audience demographics change. Wogan's core listeners were the TOGs, but they (we?) are now being dispensed with. Evans's are bourgeois suburban women who think he's great because he asks them about their little cars.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    not 100% sure no

but maybe I am confused with the lady in question cos I do remember des n mel

I am sure it was Terry's cheeky face peering out of the magic eye in the living room.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I recall once when he used to have a lunch time TV slot ( I think it was with Mel Sykes but could be wrong)

They were talking about meat on the bone and he did manage to ask her if she liked to suck the marrow out of it....
    Was that not Des O'Connor ?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I recall once when he used to have a lunch time TV slot ( I think it was with Mel Sykes but could be wrong)

They were talking about meat on the bone and he did manage to ask her if she liked to suck the marrow out of it....
    Are you sure that was Wogan and not Des O'Connor?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X