• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Private (i.e. Public) School"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I see some people are claiming a distinction between private and public schools in the UK. I'm sceptical, can anyone define the difference for me?
    I think my explanation at the top of the 2nd page put it quite well

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I see some people are claiming a distinction between private and public schools in the UK. I'm skeptical, can anyone define the difference for me?

My understanding was that in the UK "public" and "private" mean exactly the same thing. I think in most other countries today the terminology would distinguish between "private" (fee-paying) schools and "public" (state) schools. The confusing UK terminology arose because, when "public" schools were invented, the alternative was not a state school, but for your parents to hire private tutors, if they could afford it. So you could say the likes of Eton were invented for "poor" people, who wanted to share the cost of teacher-hiring with other parents.
    Love it!

Post of the year

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I see some people are claiming a distinction between private and public schools in the UK. I'm skeptical, can anyone define the difference for me?

My understanding was that in the UK "public" and "private" mean exactly the same thing. I think in most other countries today the terminology would distinguish between "private" (fee-paying) schools and "public" (state) schools. The confusing UK terminology arose because, when "public" schools were invented, the alternative was not a state school, but for your parents to hire private tutors, if they could afford it. So you could say the likes of Eton were invented for "poor" people, who wanted to share the cost of teacher-hiring with other parents.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Cheers for the pointer DA

If I ever fancy going back into a career in recruitment you shall be the first person I contact.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Ha lol thanks for the analysis next time feel free to offer me a seat on your couch.

I was to be honest being a bit tongue in check.

You can obviously get a higher quality of education if you pay for it.

However it is still down to the individual to ensure that they use the opportunity and as such you find that paying money to send you children to the best school will not automatically mean you children will be succesful.

In addition in some cases the experience of being differentiated from other member of your peer group because your parents have more cash can have a negative effect on their ability to integrate.

Remember talent is a common thing but it is wasted every day.

I know people who went to both types and there are major successes and epic fails from both groups.

(PS Is the punctuation and grammer ok for you Mr D Head?)
    That's more like it. See what you can do when you apply a bit of brain and logic!

A few points:

-The integration thing works both ways
    -The purpose of life is to be happy, which to me is the ultimate measure for success. You have far more chance (if you are not very bright) to achieve what you want in life if you have had a private education.
    -parents do not spend money on school fees lightly

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    The point of education is to try and bring the best out of children whatever that best (provided it is legal!) may be. The education system is used to prepare children for the outside world and if they excel at something they will move on with confidence and aspirations.

Historically it is by far and away children who attend private school that turn out better prepared-whether you like it or not- this is also perfectly logical simply because private schools stand or fall on how they perform whereas state schools do not.

What I find interesting is this inverted snobbery attitude that has no basis of fact to support it. Your comments are clearly based on some personal issues that you have (inferiority complex) which is rather pathetic.

Ha lol thanks for the analysis next time feel free to offer me a seat on your couch.

I was to be honest being a bit tongue in check.

You can obviously get a higher quality of education if you pay for it.

However it is still down to the individual to ensure that they use the opportunity and as such you find that paying money to send you children to the best school will not automatically mean you children will be succesful.

In addition in some cases the experience of being differentiated from other member of your peer group because your parents have more cash can have a negative effect on their ability to integrate.

Remember talent is a common thing but it is wasted every day.

I know people who went to both types and there are major successes and epic fails from both groups.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post

I've never heard of that show before.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Very good prep school. Then parents business failed, so crappy comprehensive.
    Sasguru's first day at big school. NSFW - video clip

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    why send your kids to a public school - do you want them to be azz fu<ed?

as some of the other sensible people have said send them to the local comprehensive - you will find they get a better education due to the mix of people (from rich muppets to decent people to chav scum)

it will give your children a more rounded appreciation of life

obviously if you wish for them to think that they are more privilleged than others then go for it

never confuse price with quality
    The point of education is to try and bring the best out of children whatever that best (provided it is legal!) may be. The education system is used to prepare children for the outside world and if they excel at something they will move on with confidence and aspirations.

Historically it is by far and away children who attend private school that turn out better prepared-whether you like it or not- this is also perfectly logical simply because private schools stand or fall on how they perform whereas state schools do not.

What I find interesting is this inverted snobbery attitude that has no basis of fact to support it. Your comments are clearly based on some personal issues that you have (inferiority complex) which is rather pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Why send kids to Public schools? Hmm?

Of the people I went to Public school with we number IT Professionals, Doctors, Vets, a couple of Barristers, Accountants, Solicitors, Airline Pilots (ex-Fighter pilots), senior ranks in the military etc amongst our ranks.

When I go back to my parents' house I see a good number of the people I was at Primary School with, and who went to the local comp, working in Tesco. A couple of them drive lorries as well and one is a welder.

You must of lived in a sh*t area.

Then again most of the people I went to my state primary and state comp with ended up as teachers (mostly female and strangely there are quite a few heads and deputy heads), accountants or in marketing/sales. Only my state college faired better because even though the students came from largely from state comps they were richer, had parents who played the system and/or paid for extra tuition.

Leave a comment:

• EC4N
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Very good prep school. Then parents business failed, so crappy comprehensive.
    Was it called Patel's Cornershop?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    No capitals. No punctuation. Interesting use of language as a substitute for the word 'buggered'.

Are you being ironic?
    Iconic

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Of the people I went to Public school with we number IT Professionals, Doctors, Vets, a couple of Barristers, Accountants, Solicitors, Airline Pilots (ex-Fighter pilots), senior ranks in the military etc amongst our ranks.
    Ah yes, but who is to say that those people might not still have attained those professions had they gone to a decent comp?
    To take an extreme example, would Jade Goody have ended up as a Biochemist had her parents been able to send her to a top Public School?
    Silk purses and sow's ears and all that.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Why send kids to Public schools? Hmm?

When I go back to my parents' house I see a good number of the people I was at Primary School with, and who went to the local comp, working in Tesco. A couple of them drive lorries as well and one is a welder.
    The people I went to school with are either dead (been murdered) or are in prison for serious crime, others have become alcoholics and the rest long term unemployed.

And that's just the teaching staff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X