• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Claim Job Seeker's Allowance between contracts"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    How long is the queue to use the phone?

Is it properly sanitised between customers?

leave the trolls they're not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    WTGALS

Leave a comment:

• YASUKA
    replied
    Have you tried signing on recently?

First step: find a jobcentre to sign on at.

2nd step: get an interview.

3rd step: fill in 50 page form.

4th step:

Actually its:

All interviews to sign on is conducted via phone. No 50 page form to fill in, just a series of questions with YES and NO.

Nevermind, I'm sure they're going to raise the state retirement age again... Maybe 70 instead of 68.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by YASUKA View Post
    Always sign on JSA allowance whenever you can and even if your NI contributions do not allow your to get JSA allowance, at least signing on will get your NI contributions part paid.

NI contributions techinically allows you a full state Pension at UK state retirement age . Any shortfall in your NI contributions, for example taking time off or not signing on will seriously harm your state pension entitlement. I think you are allow 1yr out of the 20 yrs as a career break, but in total you must make more than 20yrs NI contributions to get a full state pension else might be ask to pay the shortfall from your savings...

People that have not made enough NI contributions or nil contributions will also get a top up, but this is based on your income and liquid assets..
    Not entirely true any more. The rules are currently changing which reduces the 44 or 39 years you used to have to spend yo get a full pension. It's is 30 for retiring after 2010.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...ht/DG_10021384

Leave a comment:

• YASUKA
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    That's approx £5,000 you let slip through your fingers. You're either very rich or very stupid.
    Always sign on JSA allowance whenever you can and even if your NI contributions do not allow your to get JSA allowance, at least signing on will get your NI contributions part paid.

NI contributions techinically allows you a full state Pension at UK state retirement age . Any shortfall in your NI contributions, for example taking time off or not signing on will seriously harm your state pension entitlement. I think you are allow 1yr out of the 20 yrs as a career break, but in total you must make more than 20yrs NI contributions to get a full state pension else might be ask to pay the shortfall from your savings...

People that have not made enough NI contributions or nil contributions will also get a top up, but this is based on your income and liquid assets..

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    flip me, I went 18 months without signing & this guy/gal/alien monster is worrrying about 10 days.

Give me strength.
    That's approx £5,000 you let slip through your fingers. You're either very rich or very stupid.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    The reason was because it would be too much messing about for £128 (all the paperwork + possible arguments with the job centre over entitlement + possible comebacks and more arguments with them in the future).

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Thanks all for your feedback.

I contacted my umbrella co, and they gave me 2 choices:

1) Request your P45, and re-signup as a new employee after the 2 weeks (no mention of whether i should sign-on or not)

2) Stay on the books and take accrues holiday pay for those 2 weeks.

I went for option 2.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    The point is, if my employments ends on the 18th December, holiday won't apply because i won't be employed. Just a thought
    You are not employed by the client. You are employed by your brolly.

When did you think you would take the holiday? You can hardly take it while working on the client site.

So you take your paid holiday now. When that has run out, then you are unemployed.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    why would you want to claim for JSA when you aren't looking for a job?
    Claiming while not looking for work is actually against the rules and could get you fined or worse

And honestly, i know the people there are thick as planks but don't you think even they will smell a rat when they receive your signup and signing off forms at same time going and returning to same company (as takes about 2 weeks to month to process signing on) covering just the xmas period?

If you cannot handle 2 weeks off get a pay raise or go permie
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 17 December 2009, 13:30.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Then aren't you on holiday from Mon 21st December and being paid by the brolly?
    The point is, if my employments ends on the 18th December, holiday won't apply because i won't be employed. Just a thought

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    My umbrella deduct the standard 12.07% holiday pay.
    Then aren't you on holiday from Mon 21st December and being paid by the brolly?

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by XperTest View Post
    Just so I understand correctly kingcook, is your original contract end date the 18th of December or the end of December?
    Existing contract end = Friday 18th December 2009
    New contract start = Monday 4th January 2010

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    You work for the umbrella company not the client or the agency. Are they going to make you redundant then re-employ you when the renewal commences in January?

Some umbrella's deduct a certain amount of the funds which they collect to build up as holiday pay, e.g. if your contract is for £200 per day i.e. £1,000 per week, the brolly may hold back say 10% as holiday pay and then pay this to you when you are not submitting timesheets . Are they paying you this?

As HAB has said - keep a low profile, do you really want to get on their radar for the sake of £128 which may well be rejected anyway.
    My umbrella company will be aware (if they bother to check) that my current contract ends 18th December. Should i just tell them that my contract will be renewed from 4th Jan?

My umbrella deduct the standard 12.07% holiday pay.

Like HAB + you say... i'm starting to think if it's all worth the hassle (get P45, sign-on interview, sign-on, sign off, start new contract, etc) all for the sake of £128

Leave a comment:

• XperTest
    replied
    Just so I understand correctly kingcook, is your original contract end date the 18th of December or the end of December?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X