• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Xmas decorations

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Xmas decorations"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    12 days before is the proper time I think which is the weekend.
    It was always the second weekend in December when I was a nipper, and I don't see any reason to make it earlier.

Of course if you are contracting away from home, you might be glad to work until the last day and concentrate on just getting home for Christmas.

A couple of times I got the last possible flight home and was glad that I had a plastic tree stashed away.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    putting our up at the weekend. Bought the tree last week. A garden centre near us was charging 60 quid for their tall trees! Wonder how much they cost to buy in bulk? Would it be worth taking December off to seel trees?
    It varies with the tree and it's genetics.

I grow trees that are clones of a 'perfect' xmas tree discovered in a wood many many years ago. It's a variety of 'Normansgran'. Most Danish xmas tree are now. I saw a field of natural conifers next to a field of these and the difference is startling.

Hardly any get through to England, or stay in Denmark really, as only the Germans can afford to buy them.

Today they're selling at a little over €35 per meter and the contractor has to cut and ship them themselves, and pay for the time of my guy measuring them as they go on the truck. (and judging from the lights in the distance, his overtime too

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    putting our up at the weekend. Bought the tree last week. A garden centre near us was charging 60 quid for their tall trees! Wonder how much they cost to buy in bulk? Would it be worth taking December off to seel trees?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    off to the auld sod for xmas then?
    Yeah... dreading it too - lots of pent up arguments with me Ma waiting to be had

Mind you, might be good to clear the air.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    They go up last weekend in November even though birthday is 9 days before Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I'd give anything for that to be us... the thoughts of another Christmas at home
    off to the auld sod for xmas then?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    same same, xmas day i'll be on the french alps with plenty of fir trees around, hopefully i'll dodge them all
    I'd give anything for that to be us... the thoughts of another Christmas at home

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I take them down for Christmas, then put them back up on Twelfth Night.
    I know more than one person that does that.

One couple still had their tree up in the living room in the middle of summer, all the needles had fallen off...

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    We're not bothering because we're going away for Xmas.
    same same, xmas day i'll be on the french alps with plenty of fir trees around, hopefully i'll dodge them all

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    We're not bothering because we're going away for Xmas.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    12 days before is the proper time I think which is the weekend.

Girly just bought a 100 quid tree from john lewis.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I take them down for Christmas, then put them back up on Twelfth Night.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Probably the end of next week.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Last Sunday morning... & the tree looks great

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    decos are going up this Saturday, can't wait to see what mess I left the lights in

Leave a comment:

Working...
X