• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HR Departments; does the world need them?"

Collapse

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The world would be a better, happier and more profitable place without HR departments. Thoughts, congregation?
    Personnel. Admin function. Should look after no more than holiday lists, sickness records, payroll admin etc. Nothing more. As a rule, shouldn't employ men.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Unions and HR departments, no we don`t need them.

Had an experience with a HR department a while ago, quite an interesting story.<evil grin>

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I wish somebody would tell HR departments that. Last contract - entry and exit questionnaires, induction training was completed during the last week of a six month gig, the flexi time wall clock plugin thingie couldn't cope with the hours I worked so weekly sessions with HR sorting out what hours I was owed and so on...

I'm a contractor not a permie, your company and my company have a business to business relationship, what don't you understand about that?
    They don't understand anything about that. To them, they are the employer, you are the employee, and it doesn't matter what ypu don't understand about that, you'll be doing it their way.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Permies need them, they do actually add some value given the maze of conflicting rules and regs that management have to navigate these days and they are usually quite good at keeping track of who has yet to do their working at heights awareness training (in my case, working at heights means "Rob - get up that ladder and bring down that spare tape drive please"...) and the empty box moving course (aka Manual Handling...).
    Really???

In every place I've ever worked some manager always sorted that stuff out as well as doing their proper job. When they left stuff to HR it didn't get done.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The world would be a better, happier and more profitable place without HR departments. Thoughts, congregation?
    No.

No HR departments means a virtual guaranteed reliance on outsourced Rec Cons to provide personnel for companies.

Even worse, they'd model their busines to provide even more services to the host company, and dig their dirty little parasitic bloodsucking tentacles in further.

It's a case of better the devil you know, rather than the host of devils you don't.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Contractors don't need them at all.
    I wish somebody would tell HR departments that. Last contract - entry and exit questionnaires, induction training was completed during the last week of a six month gig, the flexi time wall clock plugin thingie couldn't cope with the hours I worked so weekly sessions with HR sorting out what hours I was owed and so on...

I'm a contractor not a permie, your company and my company have a business to business relationship, what don't you understand about that?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Human Remains, last refuge of the incompetent....

Permies need them, they do actually add some value given the maze of conflicting rules and regs that management have to navigate these days and they are usually quite good at keeping track of who has yet to do their working at heights awareness training (in my case, working at heights means "Rob - get up that ladder and bring down that spare tape drive please"...) and the empty box moving course (aka Manual Handling...).

Contractors don't need them at all.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Sales, Accounts, IT. That's about all you need.
    What about the workers!

There does seem to be a divide between those who have a tangible output - whether it be a new reporting screen or new customer, and those intangibles eg HR, comms folk, marketing, admin etc. But all companies end up employing folk in the 2nd group, so they must serve some purpose..

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    And it would be a more litigious place too. HR prevent expensive legal action from occuring. This is probably their main job.
    From my experience I beg to differ. I know of several examples where HR departments, if they knew anything about Danish employment law, could have saved themselves an awful lot of money.

Most seem to be somewhere to park the bosses assorted wives and/or girlfriends.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Sales, Accounts, IT. That's about all you need.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I don't have a problem with HR departments, it is the jumped up secretaries that they mostly use for staff.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    And it would be a more litigious place too. HR prevent expensive legal action from occuring. This is probably their main job.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    First against the wall come the revolution.

IMO

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    started a topic HR Departments; does the world need them?

HR Departments; does the world need them?

Working...
X