• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gross Britain

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gross Britain"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    I recall a German Engineering company that had some memorable employee names eg -a certain Christian Brothel and another Herr Killler - whose job was a manager - sounds like a formidable chap.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I once caused confusion and giggles with "Du bist wilkommen".

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Schwul, schwül. I tend to use "feucht".

I was once discussing the snow conditions with my German colleagues. I said the snow had been a bit mushy. They didn't know the word, so I looked it up in my dictionary - "weichlich".

My (female) client manager burst out laughing. A little later, a male colleague told me that, at least locally, it means "wet", as in turned on lady...

otoh, my wife had a lot of fun telling an American (male) to look up smegma in the dictionary, after he'd watch his first episode of Red Dwarf... he was so embarrassed - repressed git.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Send 'body mist' back as a 'gift'. Make sure you write that on the outside.
    It reminded me of a German watching the BBC weather forecast with mist written all over the UK. “Is that for farming?”

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Actually, many people say that we Germans have nicht sense of humour!
    keine, surely.

Stupid language.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I remeber a mate going to buy a mattress here some years back. Thinking that the word would be similar in German he ent into the shop asking for a 'zwei meter Matrose' which just happens to mean a 'two meter sailor.' Oh how the shop assistants laughed.

I recall asking the missus where I could buy a pouffe here to rest my feet on and she was very confused as that also means brothel here.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I've finally got to the level where I can make wordplay jokes in my German lessons.

Describing a married couple, I managed to mix up foltern (to torture) and fordern (to demand/ask). Oh how we laughed :-)

As you can see, I'm still a way off from doing a Ronnie Corbett routine yet.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Not the world's greatest comedian, but what he says is spot on.
    "In Britain you like to be owned by a house... I mean you like to own your house"

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Henning Wehn

DP will like this guy, house prices, doomed etc etc, spot on though.
    Not the world's greatest comedian, but what he says is spot on.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I gather the 'Great' prefix was meant to signify 'greater', as in greater London.
    The philosopher Sir Francis Bacon suggested the 'Great' prefix in the early 1600s, to avoid confusion with Brittany in north west France. So yes, it is only supposed to be a geographical distinction.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Ha ha I just received a package shipped by Customer in Germany.

Last line of the address: "Gross Britannien" !

Who says the Germans have no sense of humour?!
    Pretty nearly correct, it should be:

Großbritannien

where the 'ß' does also mean 'ss'

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Of course the Germans have a sense of humour. It's just that it involves invading Poland.

"...hey, es war nur ein witz!"

btw, according to Freud, what lies between fear and sex?

funf.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Sehr gut!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Henning Wehn

DP will like this guy, house prices, doomed etc etc, spot on though.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X