• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Climategate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Climategate"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    seems fairly balanced, from BBC article....

But the rest of the continent has remained largely immune from the global trend of rising temperatures.

Indeed, the continent's largest portion, East Antarctica, appears to have cooled, bringing a 10% increase in the sea ice extent since 1980.
    So why didn't the article header read 'Some ice melts but not to worry as more ice forms'.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Two more contradictory snippets:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8387137.stm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225700046908

I'm going right off the BBC of late.
    seems fairly balanced, from BBC article....

But the rest of the continent has remained largely immune from the global trend of rising temperatures.

Indeed, the continent's largest portion, East Antarctica, appears to have cooled, bringing a 10% increase in the sea ice extent since 1980.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Why's that? Do you think He might have f**ked up the spec. for water?

I think the old guy likes water, thats why he miraculously intervened in the process.
    I dont know if science produces a reasonable explanation for this at all

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    if water behaved like other material, and kept on getting denser till it froze, the ice would sink.

This is a better argument for the existence of God than all the holy books and all the holy men in the world.
    Why's that? Do you think He might have f**ked up the spec. for water?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    if water behaved like other material, and kept on getting denser till it froze, the ice would sink.
    There would soon be an ice sheet on the sea bed that would never melt. It would get thicker and thicker till the planet was a dead snowball.

This is a better argument for the existance of God than all the holy books and all the holy men in the world.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Quite. The reasons the sea doesn't freeze solid, and your fish live through the winter in wish ponds, is that water gets denser as it cools to a point and then starts to float back up as ice. So this thermal expansion they talk of, would have to be some pretty extreme rise in temperature.

Ice sheets float on water, if they melt the water level will most likely stay the same, it's Archimedes principle innit, and if anything else, drop as explained above. Unless of course we start getting Palm trees growing in the Antarctic like they did a few million years ago, but back then the whole world was wetter and lots more water was held in bio-mass and the sea-levels were lower...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    So, in conclusion ....

There is no shame in taking the 'I am just not sure' position.
    Watch out for emotive language and blood curdling warnings.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    In conclusion both sides probably have ulterior motives and likely will be cashing in. Best not to believe climate change exists or not exists. I think that's the idea I will push when my book and DVD's come out; telling people not to be pulled in by either side of the debate.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    ...some people on here believe journalists more than they do scientists.
    Post links to articles that have been seized on by creationists and
    this is despite the fact that without science we wouldn't have this forum to voice our little opinions, instead we'd be sat in the dark going "Ugg". It's the way forward, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    So, in conclusion ....

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

He's a known loony:
    Via his long-running column in the UK's Sunday Telegraph, Booker has claimed that man-made global warming was "disproved" in 2008[1], that white asbestos is "chemically identical to talcum powder" and poses a "non-existent risk" to human health[2], that "scientific evidence to support [the] belief that inhaling other people's smoke causes cancer simply does not exist"[3] and that there is "no proof that BSE causes CJD in humans"[4]. He has also defended the theory of Intelligent Design, maintaining that Darwinians "rest their case on nothing more than blind faith and unexamined a priori assumptions".[5]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Booker

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I also found this on there.

BBC bias??

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Big brother censors google

Linky

A fantastic article written by Christopher Brooker of the London Telegraph exposing the climate change fraud rocketed to the very top of a Google News search for “global warming,” only to disappear hours later.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I am normally very good at online research and can usually get to the root arguments of a subject quite quickly, then find peer-reviewed evidence to support one side more than the other.

I bowed out of having an opinion on the global warming thing ages ago as there is so much vested interest out there confusing the science and poor work being incorrectly reported as 'proof' or even 'evidence'.

I worry that HAB is right; the arts-graduate meedja are going to use this to debunk science even more and make society even worse than it already is as a consequence.

This ongoing dumbing down of the population could end up killing millions.
    The nice thing about being a sceptic is that you are not saying 'there is no AGW', you are saying 'Please convince me'

They are not going to convince me with spin, hype or insults,
    being painted as a holocaust denier is not doing their cause any good at all

Leave a comment:

Working...
X