• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climategate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Two more contradictory snippets:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8387137.stm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225700046908

I'm going right off the BBC of late.
    Quite. The reasons the sea doesn't freeze solid, and your fish live through the winter in wish ponds, is that water gets denser as it cools to a point and then starts to float back up as ice. So this thermal expansion they talk of, would have to be some pretty extreme rise in temperature.

Ice sheets float on water, if they melt the water level will most likely stay the same, it's Archimedes principle innit, and if anything else, drop as explained above. Unless of course we start getting Palm trees growing in the Antarctic like they did a few million years ago, but back then the whole world was wetter and lots more water was held in bio-mass and the sea-levels were lower...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

if water behaved like other material, and kept on getting denser till it froze, the ice would sink.
      There would soon be an ice sheet on the sea bed that would never melt. It would get thicker and thicker till the planet was a dead snowball.

This is a better argument for the existance of God than all the holy books and all the holy men in the world.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        if water behaved like other material, and kept on getting denser till it froze, the ice would sink.

This is a better argument for the existence of God than all the holy books and all the holy men in the world.
        Why's that? Do you think He might have f**ked up the spec. for water?

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          Why's that? Do you think He might have f**ked up the spec. for water?

I think the old guy likes water, thats why he miraculously intervened in the process.
          I dont know if science produces a reasonable explanation for this at all
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Two more contradictory snippets:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8387137.stm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225700046908

I'm going right off the BBC of late.
            seems fairly balanced, from BBC article....

But the rest of the continent has remained largely immune from the global trend of rising temperatures.

Indeed, the continent's largest portion, East Antarctica, appears to have cooled, bringing a 10% increase in the sea ice extent since 1980.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              seems fairly balanced, from BBC article....

But the rest of the continent has remained largely immune from the global trend of rising temperatures.

Indeed, the continent's largest portion, East Antarctica, appears to have cooled, bringing a 10% increase in the sea ice extent since 1980.
              So why didn't the article header read 'Some ice melts but not to worry as more ice forms'.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
              X