• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State comprehensives; are they really that bad?"

Collapse

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Meanwhile, we were placed in a different set for every subject twice a year. You could be in the top (of 6) sets in one subject, in the bottom for another and so on. Hence you would be pushed in the subjects you were good at but helped in those you were crap it. There was no shame in being in a bottom set for something; you would be in higher sets for other subjects. There was also no arrogance from being in a top set; I don't think anybody would have been in the top set for all their subjects. (There may have been a few, but I cannot recall any.) As a result, we all got better grades in every subject.
    That's exactly how my comp worked.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    So tell me, if you went to a comp, how was it? Would you send your kids to the same school?
    The comp I went to was really good. No problems at all. Quality of education was pretty high (only a couple of dodgy teachers, but you'll get those privately as well). I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids there. Why pay for something that is unlikely to be much better?

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    I went to state comp, the teachers were really good, most had been teaching atleast 10 and a few way more 20 years at that school.

I went to a good uni was full of Oxbridge rejects who had been privately educated. Their parents must have been gutted to spend all that money and the kids still didn't make it.

Some of them had better A levels than me, but when it came to programming they had no talent for it..
    Last edited by Iron Condor; 27 November 2009, 21:33.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I sometimes think it is good for a bright child to go to a school where they have a hard time.

Makes them try hard later in life and not expect it all on a plate "cos I wen't to a posh school, don't you know".

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    I hated school, my Dad died when I was 14 and I went completely off the rails, my comp had a very bad rep.

I spent my study leave doing aptitude tests - Mensa etc, as I enjoyed getting high scores etc.

Consequently, didn't do very well at my 'O' levels but managed to gain one of the highest scores in The Bank of England 'entrance exam' - aptitude based.

At that time the BoE didn't care about exams. Gained employment there, much to the surprise of the school.
    Last edited by Tingles; 27 November 2009, 20:54.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Remember boys and girls, DodgyAgent's opinions are the real truth and your factual anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

Evidently, the difference comes down to the quality of the parents, 'cos ours were doing pretty damned well.
    FTFY.

Kids whose parents don't give a tulip often end up WFM.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    We've all got anecdotes
    Remember boys and girls, DodgyAgent's opinions are the real truth and your factual anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Most of the time it was very large classes (about 32) and boredom.
    32 is now considered very large is it?

So you wouldn't have enjoyed there being 38 to 42 in the class, then?

Evidently, the difference comes down to the quality of the teachers, 'cos ours were doing pretty damned well.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    This was one of the problems at my comp, if you were in the top set anyway and weren't causing trouble then you could coast along doing very little. It was very good training for IT contracting !
    I did absolutely nothing at comprehensive school. Nothing. I still managed to cruise through OK, but I look back and wonder how well I could have done if I had worked. Most of the time it was very large classes (about 32) and boredom.

I'm now looking at schools for Swamp Junior, and we are thinking about private secondary schools.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Only post for five weeks, and this is it?!?!

Welcome back, Jog.
    Sorry - been really busy but knd of back now for a bit.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    WE've all got ar5eholes too, but some of us don't act like one.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    BTW what if you are intelligent and dont work?
    This was one of the problems at my comp, if you were in the top set anyway and weren't causing trouble then you could coast along doing very little. It was very good training for IT contracting !

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    We've all got anecdotes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X