• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mind the gap

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mind the gap"

Collapse

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I would tend to agree. I generally only usually stick around for at most a couple of years. However, when you have experienced a longish period on the bench, you may be tempted to stick with something longer thereafter. Particularly if the work is sufficiently varied. Oh, plus I was able to work from home for three days of the week!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    5 year gig!
    I get bored after 5 months!
    WSS

One of the joys of contracting for me was an escape from the crushing tedium of working at the same company doing the same crap day in day out with no end in sight.
    The thought of it still gives me the shivers

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    5 year gig!
    My current contract is in its 14th year. Admittedly, the last 5 years have been a tad dull.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    A five year gig can easily become a six year gig.

By the way, some places do check references. I have just completed a couple for past colleagues.
    5 year gig!

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    A five year gig can easily become a six year gig.

By the way, some places do check references. I have just completed a couple for past colleagues.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I've had the one where I've been put forward for a gig at a client I've worked at before. They've invited me in, and then been faced with some smart-arse who tries to say I've not worked their before. OK I may be on CUK a lot, so maybe should say 'billed' instead on 'worked'.
    It worked the other way once for me. Just because a salesman dragged me into a customer on the way to lunch one day, a year later that customer was convinced I was responsible for supplying the system which he wasn't happy with. I'd had absolutely nowt to do with it, but that didn't convince him.
    Last edited by Sysman; 26 November 2009, 11:42. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I've had the one where I've been put forward for a gig at a client I've worked at before. They've invited me in, and then been faced with some smart-arse who tries to say I've not worked their before. OK I may be on CUK a lot, so maybe should say 'billed' instead on 'worked'.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Anyone got any decent CV gap-filling tips?
    Expand gig by 1 month either side. Add an extra month ( or two ! ) on each CV rewrite or as it tickles your fancy. Eventually all gaps are gone !

If applying for role at previous client then recheck you haven't over expanded that particular gig and reinsert gap as necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    No gaps, but what I have been asked, only once, is "why did you have two short contracts one after the other ? (short being 3 months)"

Well, let's see: the work was completed, nothing left to do, that's what a contractor does.
    I used to enjoy the short term nature of some gigs.

Go in. Sort problem. Leave with the feeling of mission accomplished.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    No gaps, but what I have been asked, only once, is "why did you have two short contracts one after the other ? (short being 3 months)"

Well, let's see: the work was completed, nothing left to do, that's what a contractor does.
    Thats my contracting history also, albeit short. One 5 monther, one 6 monther, 4 months working on something else, about to be benched end of the week and have been offered an interview for a 1 month gig (everything else going for it - rate, task, etc).

Also CV gone forward to a fantastic 6 month roller, local, good rate, interesting job, but apart from pimp telling me CV gone forward, havien't heard anything back yet - but it has only been two days.

The 6 monther was initially a 2 monther but they wanted me to do some other tasks afterwards. So a couple of extensions - of sorts.

I am a bit worried about how the CV looks, but as you said, on all of the contracts I have been bought in to do a specific task, completed it and buggered off - but will prospective clients see it like that. I think I could do with that 6 month roller to perk up the CV a bit - and keep some steady money coming in.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I have gaps on my CV - and it does not seem to have hindered my ability to get other contracts.

I have posted before about a chap whose CV showed up at my current role and I was asked to look over his CV as we had both worked for the same customer.
    He worked for them for 6 weeks, but had 6 MONTHS on his CV. They were not impressed and his CV went into the bin.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Its the actual truth but it also wouldnt harm if it is a lie.

I took 18 months off during the 2001 dotcom bust and if questioned (which has only happened once and yes I got the gig) I simply state that I really enjoy travelling and seeing more of the world and like to fit that in around contracts as I never take time off during a contract always making sure Im upskilled for when I return.

That then followed with an "oh, where did you go?" followed by "oo, aaah, sounds great, i'd love to do that, your lucky being able to take large amounts of time off"

before you suggest it, no I wasnt in prison..

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I've never had a problem stating that I was working on projects of my own, or taking time to work on developing my skills in up-and-coming areas.

One interviewer commented "Aah, you can never have too many side-projects!"

"That's what yours is to me" I replied.

Instant hire

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    <-----
    couldn't resist

Leave a comment:

Working...
X