• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If the market picks up sometime"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    So are you suggesting the banks actually colluded to reduce contract rates?

That is a big allegation. Do you have any evidence, or is it just pure speculation?

I know for a fact that they did it, and no, I do not have any evidence, I do not tend to tape my conversations.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    When the banks get together and decide to drop all contractors rates by 15% and we all have the "it's a free market" attitude then rates will always be on a downwards trend.
    So are you suggesting the banks actually colluded to reduce contract rates?

That is a big allegation. Do you have any evidence, or is it just pure speculation?

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    I doubt mitch will be out for long, one of the most clued up contractors on here and always has something to say.

Mind you he is a tester
    Yeah, who wants to hire a tester? All they produce is bugs.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    When the banks get together and decide to drop all contractors rates by 15% and we all have the "it's a free market" attitude then rates will always be on a downwards trend.
    Surely this has already happened.

The irony is that it's IT folk that developed the technology to make this possible.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Its not called a free market for nothing!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Well its not a 'free' market is it?

Bob's agency advertises a role for tulipe - nobody applies as rate is too low to live on.

Bob's agency then gets Bob in on ICT at said rate on the basis that no local people could be found, Bob arrives with expenses paid and his local salary from home.

Where's the 'free market'??

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    So you are OK with thousands of Bobs pimping themselves for buttons?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    I also don't agree with the guff about "inexperienced contractors selling their skills under". If any contractor wants to work for £200 per day (say) to feed their family then good on them.
    So you are OK with thousands of Bobs pimping themselves for buttons?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I admire clients that cut rates -- so long as it's done in a respectable manner -- and I think all contractors should welcome such activity because it means that clients accept we are a market-driven resource and we can potentially enjoy splendid rates in an upturn.

I also don't agree with the guff about "inexperienced contractors selling their skills under". If any contractor wants to work for £200 per day (say) to feed their family then good on them.
    Last edited by swamp; 25 November 2009, 14:06.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
    Anyhow, seems like they may want me to establish their US operation now. If and when this happens I've decided a 23% increase is warranted. Otherwise I stick to my plan of holidaying until April in the Far East .
    only 23%? why not 25%, or 50% or 100%?

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    I had a v. good relationship with my previous client in the UK. So much that prior to moving abroad I said I'd go in for a day or 2 and fix any glitches discovered in live system gratis. As it happened, wasn't necessary.

Current employer in middle east totally different. They wouldn't take me on a contract basis and insisted I sign on perm to develop their IT infrastucture, here and abroad, only to terminate me after I've delivered the project 10 months later. I won't even go into how they treat Indians here.

Anyhow, seems like they may want me to establish their US operation now. If and when this happens I've decided a 23% increase is warranted. Otherwise I stick to my plan of holidaying until April in the Far East .

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    I have a rate, if I get it then I will do the work. If they cut my rate, I will stay and work less, take longer lunch breaks etc while looking for another contract.
    Classy. All the best.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    I have a rate, if I get it then I will do the work. If they cut my rate, I will stay and work less, take longer lunch breaks etc while looking for another contract.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I doubt mitch will be out for long, one of the most clued up contractors on here and always has something to say.

Mind you he is a tester
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Mind you he is a tester

Leave a comment:

Working...
X